dwarf fruit trees

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Creationsings

I recently ordered 3 differant dwarf fruit trees. But i am considering planting them in large pots. I have never grown fruit trees in pots and was hoping to get some advice on soil and needs for the trees before they arrive at the end of the week. Thank you for any help.

Welcome to our forum!
First, I'd like to know what zone you live in and the kind of dwarf trees you will be planting.
Also need to know the size of the pots you will be using...

Thank you.

I am in zone 6a. I will be planting galla apple, georgia peach and bing cherry. I have pots that are about 15-20 gallon.

Bigger pots would be better so you won't have to repot them for a few years, say 30 to 50gl size!
Soil: and good topsoil will do, you will need to ammend it with some crushed rock, peat moss and ( I prefer sheep manure) and course sand, in equal parts.
Place a few inches of gravel on the bottom of the pots for drainage (make the drainage holes larger for better drainage).
Once planted cover the soil surface with an inch or two of mulch but not around the trunk of the trees.

Not trying to burst your bubble or put you in a bad mood or anything but...

From everything I have found you need a second Cherry for yours to pollinate. If a neighbor has one close you may be fine. If you already have one then nevermind.
Peaches seem to be selfpollinating (their may be a few that don't though)
The Apple you would have to do some research I believe a handfull are self pollinating.

Even with self pollinating they are supposed to do better with a second tree.

Thank you ...all the dwarf trees I have coming say they are self pollinating so I hope they really are. I will do some more research on that thanks a bunch.

Looks like I may need to get another cherry tree for my bing. but the Peach and apple should be ok. Thanks for letting me know this.

I was going to say maybe I need to look again. I have a Semi Dwarf Bing. I also have a Semi Dwarf Black Tartarian. They are supposed to be a good pair to pollinate.
I am still learning alot, but I did find that when I planted all my trees.

I contacted the person I am getting the trees from and he said that they will produce fruit just not as big a yeild without a second tree. So I am not sure what i will do right now..lol

I would get a second cherry so you have some, and wait on the other two and see what you do get for fruit.
Just know it can take a few years to get any. Dwarfs are supposed to produce sooner in their life though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back