Help! What is happening to my tomatillo plant?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Erinlynn83

My tomatillo plant was doing great, looked pretty hardy, stands about 8 feet tall, started having tomatillos grow and today I found the stems broken open with tiny yellow insects or eggs (I'm guessing) in the broken open areas. Anyone know what this is? Any chance of me saving this plant? See the attached pics. Thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 311
Hi Erin I wish I could help but I have never grown them. Someone here should be able to help.
Welcome

I have not grown these before so do not know what pests would attack them.
The damage does look familiar though, and could be a stem borer!
You can remove the damaged stems and have a look inside the stem, you will probably find a small white grub/larvae!

Take your pictures down to your local garden centre. And I mean a local garden centre that is independently owned where the people actually know about plants and gardening, not a big franchise/chain store. They should be able to help you identify local pests like this, and give you ideas for solutions. Unfortunately I have never grown a tomatillo plant either, so can't help too much. Good luck :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back