Horseweed problem

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

LGithens

We live on a working farm, in central Iowa. We have an area, west of our vegetable garden that has an infestation of horseweed. My brother, who farms the land for us, says it's horsweed. I've also googled horsweed, and it sure looks like horseweed. It's grows tall, is very easy to pull out(thank goodness) but there are hundreds of them! Last summer, we pulled every stinkin one of them, only to have the teeny tiny ones that we didn't get pulled, grow up to be just as bad as what we spent hours pulling. In the fall, the weed dies off, becoming a tall, dry, lightweight woody stem, that once again pulls out of the ground easily. I just spend a couple of hours pulling out what was dead from last year.

As I mentioned, I've googled horseweed, looking for a way to get rid of it forever. I can't find anyting relating to a home garden. All I can find is how much a problem it is for a field. I'm assuming that's how it made it into our yard in the first place.

Any ideas of what to try? It takes over my peony bushes, asparagus, and what not in there, plus I'd like to further develop the bed. I just don't want to have to spend hours and hours pulling it up, only to have it come back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Lori

Hey Lori!
Conyza canadensis can be a real pest!
Luckily it is an annual weed!
All I can recommend is to keep pulling it up as it appears in your garden by pulling, or hoeing!
I have not found it very persistent in my gardens as long as I mulch to prevent the seed germination! The seeds can remain in the soil for a very long time so try not to work the soil too much! Working the soil brings the seeds to the soil surface where they are exposed to sunlight which they need in order to germinate!
There is no quick fix! But, diligence works well if you start early and keep at it!
Mulching will be a great deterrent!

Last edited:
I live in the city..and I have horseweed... my county extension office said just keep pulling them they don't know what to do about them except possibly spay but that could endanger my flowering plants

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back