my hens and chicks

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Here's the photos I promised:
1/ Jovibarba in a tufa trough I made a few years ago.
2/ This jovibarba really is orange!
3/ Sempervivum 'Oddity'
4/ Sempervivum it really is a wine color!
5/ Orostatchys spinosa (a sempervivum look a like)

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 393
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 365
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 366
Here's a mix of jovibarba (close relative to the sempervivum) Offsets form close to the parent plant on very short thin strands!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 380
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 374
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 382
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 363
OMGosh Ron those are all wonderful.

They are all fun to grow from seeds!
Since they hybridize easily, you never know that the plants will look like!
With all the offsets they produce I will have a never ending supply of new plants to pot up and sell!

The seeds were started last April! They are very slow to develop in their first 2 months, but once they get going they pick up the pace!
The jovibarba are a mix of small rosette species and hybrids (around the size of a silver dollar at maturity) so tend to grow to maturity quickly compared to the sempervivums which take longer ....lets see....it takes a year before they are a nice size for sale, but some of the larger sempervivum species takes longer... I'd say...2 years before they are ready for sale!
Since this is my first year here on the lake, I have to take into consideration that the lake tends to keep the temp where we live lower then inland, so the plants take a bit longer to come out of dormancy....they just sit there waiting for some heat to get growing!
My prickly pear cactus are still a bit shrivelled, and haven't completely plumped up yet! In the late Fall they wilt and shivel, since they need to reduce their surface area to help get them through the winter!
The orostatchys are almost finished plumping up! They're odd since they reduce their moisture content in the leaves so the rosettes shrivel and close up for the winter months! They look grey and almost dead December through late March. The semps and jovis do the same thing!
Ok...For jovibarbas: from seed to potting up in cell packs takes at least 6 months! Then add another 3 months for them to grow large enough to repot to 4" pots!<--- at this point they start to develop into a multiple cluster.
Sempervivums: A good year and a half for the larger species and hybrids, and a year for the smaller species and hybrids!
Still need to remember to feed them often with a water soluable fert 10-30-10 to fatten them up faster!
If I had a greenhouse, the time would be halved, so I'm doing well considering I'm using growlights for my seed starting!

OMGosh Ron that is so cool. I can't believe they grow that fast.
I tried growing cactus from seed and they were still tiny several years later

I have more!
The ones in the photos are in the garden that I planted last year, the rest are in pots!
I'll post more as they grow larger!
I also have a mix of sedum species and hybrids that I grew from seed!

Oh Ron I checked out the link you posted for me and at half price the seeds were a really good deal but they wanted 15.00 to ship to USA so I will check somewhere else I guess. Thanks though

Oh Ron I checked out the link you posted for me and at half price the seeds were a really good deal but they wanted 15.00 to ship to USA so I will check somewhere else I guess. Thanks though

That's too bad!
All I pay for postage is $6!
$15 to the US would be alright if you had a large order!

I was only ordering 3 pkg. so I could try them you are right if I were ordering more it would have been worth it.

Look what I found when I went grocery shopping this afternoon!
They had 5 for $10 and couldn't resist!
I will be able to pull them apart and pot them up separately!
I do not have these variations!
There are so many hybrids you would run out of garden space very quickly!
I will keep the a few rosettes of each as stock plants, so I can harvest their offsets! The center rosette will more then likely bloom this year and then die off to complete their life cycle!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 383
Holy Cow Ron Great buy. I love all of them. The green one in the front is really different.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back