Need help choosing indoor plant.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

FLGirl

Hi,

I'v decided I want to have a house plant. It's something Iv wanted for a while but I'm not sure where to start, I started with doing searches for hardy indoor plants and I get allot of results but I'm still not sure what would be best for me.

I live in central Florida and the room the plant will be in does not get allot of light. Even though I have the curtains open to let in the sunlight daily it's still fairly indirect but it's something. I'm looking for a plant that is easy to maintain. One thing I can offer is watering with aquarium water...Iv heard several aquarium enthusiasts mention that they water their plants with aquarium water (water you remove during scheduled water change) and that the plants love it...unless you drown them. Makes sense...I think?

Today I found a planter I like, one of the teacup saucer planters from wal-mart. They are similar to these in shape and size...

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-318...rkshire-terrier-dog-in-teacup-flower-pot.html

http://decafdiaries.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/teacup-flower-pot.jpg

Would that be good for some house plant? My experience is obviously about zero, I do know aquatic plants and have heavily planted aquariums. Though Iv always gone for a more low maintenance approach.

I'm completlely a newb so Iv told you all this just to ask for plant suggestions and advice. No advice is too elementary. Thanks. :eek:

Last edited:
Happy New Year and welcome Flgirl I would have to say buy an Orchid as you will have lasting blooms and the pleasure of reblooms.

I just love Orchids but there are many beautiful houseplants.

As I am in Scotland I dont where you could buy a houseplant.

Thanks! I'll start looking into those! :)

What about Phalaenopsis Orchids? Do you think this would be a good fit?

Last edited:
Hi FLGirl, I would agree with Ron that Phalaenopsis are one of the easier orchids to grow. I only have had two orchids, both Phalaenopsis', so I don't have too much experience with them.
Are you looking in particular for a plant that will flower, and is there anything else you want in the plant other than it be tolerant of the indirect light?

Thanks all! I'll get to reading the article too. :)

Flowering is nice but really I'm open to any plants that would be happy in my environment and are relatively easy to care for (not super easy to kill? I don't want to kill my first non-aquatic plant so something that can handle a newbie though I'm trying to be well informed lol).

Any other plant suggestions for me? Id love to have options when I go shopping and check out what I can get locally.

Hey Flgirl,
What part of central Fl are you in. We are neighbors! Glad you found the site, hope you do well with your new orchid. Sean mentioned spider plants , they do like filtered light but not too dark. If you would like spider plants just PM me . I just cut all the babies off for the freeze and they are inside looking for homes ;)

that offer goes for anyone else who might want some as well I have plain and variegated.

A Peace Lily is a very easy plant to care for. They don't take much light and water sparingly. I have several pots sitting around the house and really need to thin the main one now. They start blooming in the spring and bloom off and on all summer.

Some other plants that might be good for you would be a spider plant, a Pothos, a snake plant, or a dragon tree, (you can get them in any size usually). Do any of these appeal to you?

Thanks! Those are cool, the dragon tree sounds interesting. I'm really not sure what I want now... :p

Hey Flgirl,
What part of central Fl are you in. We are neighbors! Glad you found the site, hope you do well with your new orchid. Sean mentioned spider plants , they do like filtered light but not too dark. If you would like spider plants just PM me . I just cut all the babies off for the freeze and they are inside looking for homes ;)

that offer goes for anyone else who might want some as well I have plain and variegated.

Nice! I'm in the Polk area. :)

A Peace Lily is a very easy plant to care for. They don't take much light and water sparingly. I have several pots sitting around the house and really need to thin the main one now. They start blooming in the spring and bloom off and on all summer.

Oh yes, those are pretty! So many nice plants, I'm just not sure what I want first! lol

Fl Girl,
I am in Putnam/Clay /St Johns area, which is central NE. I border all 3 counties. You are a little south of me, much better growing area.

If you want baby spider plants let me know. I have plenty.

I love my Phalaenopsis Orchids. My purple one bloomed 3 times last year. They are very easy to take care of.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back