Need help with my Azalea bush!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I have a pink small Azalea bush that was in a container. I decided to split them up and cut the roots and soil in half and put them in two different pots. I did not cut the branches, only separated their roots. Ever since then no matter what I do they look terrible! I have tried giving them sun and water and taking them out of the sun. What happened?

They went into shock!
Not a good thing for a potted azalea!
The damage is already done, so all you can do is keep the soil moist, and place them in a shaded area with no sun! Then cross your fingers!
Are these florist azaleas, or are they hardy ones for your area?

Well I'm sure they are hardy for the area. My mom has two Azalea bushes in the front yard. This plant was my sister's whom my mom suggested she split and put into two different pots. I'm wondering if they will do better in the ground but my sister insist on them being in pots.

My sister also purchased the Azalea plant in our area at a local florist, it came in a approx. 8" inch pot.

The plants are in shock.
What you need to do is trim off any blooms still remaining, ends of any branches that are dried out & appear dead. Once a month, use a fertilizer low in nitrogen and high in phosporus to promote root and bud growth without promoting plant and leaf growth. Both the plants will need to grow more root systems to regain their health. Keeping them out of direct sun will help as will keeping the bottom of the pots warm (slightly).

Water deeply and infrequently. A good way is to soak it in a tub of water until the bubbles stop, and then let it drain out the excess water. Do this about once a week. Exactly how often depends on its potting mix and the temperature and humidity of the room. The goal is to have moist soil, rather than having it either saturated or dry for more than a few hours at a time.

FYI -A good potting mix is a 50/50 mixture of potting soil and fine pine bark.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back