Online Source for Heirloom Seeds?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bruno2

I cant find anywhere to purchase heirloom seeds here in town. Are there any places online that are better than the others to purchase them?

Best Heirloom Seed Available

The Ark Institute has been offering the best 100% heirloom non-hybrid, non-GMO seed since the whole heirloom trend began. Actually, it was our founder, world-renowned biologist Geri Guidetti, who published the first papers exposing the "terminator gene" that was being bred into the commercially raised and sold produce, and who really started this whole movement in the early 1990's.

The Ark offers various packages of seed varieties up to a 52-variety seed package, along with many seed packages geared towards targeted gardening groups - those with large gardens, those with small gardens, those container gardening on their balcony or patio, and now those growing to produce their own organic baby food for pennies compared to retail.
We can also provide custom assembled packages for whatever you are looking for, just give us a call and discuss! My wife and I are eager to help.

Our packets of seed also contain between 4x and 50x as much seed as some of the retail seed packages you see out there, so you can store seed, grow more or share! Don't be fooled with the other guys who offer 10,000 seeds - it's mostly useless seed like wheat or something that you get very little usage out of.

Mention Garden Forums and this post and I will personally give you a 10% discount on your purchase. Shipping is already free on most purchases, or throw in a book of your choice for any regular priced purchases over $100.

Thanks! Glad we can help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would caution you to be sure that you trust whatever online merchant you find - from my experience there are tons of seed sellers and re-sellers that have questionable ethics.

There are a lot of totally honest stores out there with great resources, but for every honest store there are dozens of scammers out there just trying to make a quick buck.

REAL Heirloom seeds

Here is a quote from the home page of the Landreth Seed Co. website:

"Since 1784, the D. Landreth Seed Company has been providing its customers with one of the most extensive selections of fine lawn and garden seeds in the world. Our founders introduced into the United States some of the most beloved flowers and vegetables known today including the Zinnia, the white potato, various tomatoes, and our own Bloomsdale Spinach. We have become the oldest seed house in America because we are passionate in our quest for excellence in quality, service and innovation."

www.dlandrethseed.com is in danger of closing it's doors. Anyone who is concerned about preserving heirloom seeds, small businesses, and an historic part of American agriculture can help to save this company by buying from them. They have a beautiful catalog, many historic seeds, excellent hand tools, and a nice selection of gifts. Please take a moment to visit their website, www.landrethseeds.com
and if you have the means, to support them if you can. They are part of the foundation of what Heirloom Gardening in America is about. And please send this link to your gardening friends who may not read these threads, or "Like" them on Facebook. Help make history by preserving it with technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked out those websites, and they seem overpriced. They are more expensive the hybrid seeds, and I can understand why. But is there anywhere to get them cheaper online if you buy a large quantity?

Ya might want to check Seeds for thee & Issacs seeds, they don't have a huge slection but the prices sure are right.

I have ordered a lot of seed from Sand Hill Preservation Center. They are a small co. and produce their own seed. You can ordered in large quantities at reasonable prices.
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is another co. you can check out.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back