Pumpking seeds sprouting inside a pumpkin?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

jmwarner

My son and I decided to carve a pumpkin last night, and two of the seeds have actually started sprouting inside the pumpkin.

I pulled them out and saved them, and my son desperately wants to plant his own pumpkin.

Being early October in Maine, I know if I planted them out in the yard they would never make it through the winter. Can I plant them in a pot to keep indoors through the cold months than transport them outside in the spring?:confused: I am very much so not a gardener, and have no signs of a green thumb so any advice would be much appreciated.

If I can't plant them in a pot, is there anything I can do to save them, and plant them in the spring?

Thanks! :D

Welcome JM!
It is not uncommon at all to find sprouting seeds in fruits and veggies. I often keep those sprouts for the garden. And yes, the answer is you can winter a pumpkin over.
HOWEVER, in Maine your winters are very long and pumpkin plants tend to be very big and take up lots of space. They require much light as well. If you have a space where you can house a "whiskey" half barrel and have it under a grow light , you could maybe pull this off. I would suggest that you trellis the vine on a sturdy trellis in the barrel. Keep the vine trained up and down the trellis. In spring when you move the barrel out side allow it to hit the ground and do it's own thing. They do need lots of room so make sure it will not be in the way of anything such as sidewalks and patios or drives. I think fostering a child's desire to grow anything builds understanding of how and where our food comes from. You can't go wrong even if it is not a successful project. Make sure to allow for disappointment due to the conditions under which it will be done. But make a plan for the spring to plant something just for the experience of growing food. I am not sure of the age of your son, but for 5-6 year olds beans are a great crop. They are easy and grow fast. For an indoor garden project you can grow lettuces in small pots near a window that receives good sun or under a grow light. If you have trouble obtaining seeds in your area now, let me know I can mail you some. ;)

I hope this was clear to you. If not, feel free to ask any questions. :)

Did you save the seeds that have not sprouted?
I clean the seeds as well as I can and then I put the seeds on a paper towel and let them dry out for several days.. after they are dry rub the other stuff off of the seeds and they will keep until spring when you can plant them. Then you have to hope that they are not hybrid and will grow true.
BTW welcome it's good to see a new face. ENJOY

Welcome JMWarner from another Mainer. I live outside of Portland and Crabbergirl gave you good advice but not sure how well they will do inside in Maine. I would take KyaD's advice and plant them around memorial if you have the space outside or in a whiskey barrel like Crabbergirl said.. Let us know what you decide to do.What part of Maine are you from?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back