When to start potatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

This season I will try potatoes in largeish containers as well as the ground.

When should I start the spuds? I've read that they should go in the ground as soon as it can be worked. The mix in the containers is nice and fluffy and can be worked now. Our ten day forecast calls for us to fall about twenty degrees by next weekend (35 nightly lows, 55 F daily highs).

Commonly I'd say it is too early to plant potatoes but the ground has warmed up so much already.

We could still get a deep freeze and snow! I'd wait on the potatoes untill the night time temps stays over 50F!

I agrre with Ron. Do not plant your spuds until you are sure there will be no freezes or frost. Frost will kill the tops but you can cover them to protect, freezes though are bad.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back