Wonderful surprise

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

Back in November I bought two amaryillis (sp) bulbs for about 3 dollars each, one was appleblossom and one was Minerva
When the second one blossomed this week I was in for a super treat.
It is just beautiful

Attachments

• double.jpg
    double.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 311
That's a beauty Dawn!
Even though it is not Minerva it is a wonderful surprise!
It's probably one of the series of Double Aphrodite which comes in a range of colors such as orange, pink and multi colors!

Lucky You CG. I wish they would winter over here but they just won't.
Ron as always you are right, it is a Double Aphrodite , I am so tickled to have it when I thought it was a single.

very pretty Dawn , with me seems i can get them to bloom one time , then thats it . have a beautiful red one with some white lines in it right now , didnt bloom last year at all ,has the green leaves now , but dont look that good . thought for sure it was going to do something , maybe it still will , i dont know.

Nancy
I put my bulbs outdoors for the warm months and fertilize them once a week to fatten up the bulbs! I place them were they get morning sun for a good 5-6 hours, then shade for the rest of the day. i usually water them every other day! The more leaves the bulb develops the fatter the bulb!
Mine flower, on averge, three times a year!

The first one is Apple Blossom and the red is Lucky Strike!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 319
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 325
Beautiful colours! I have some in my own garden and they're always one of the first bulbs to come up in Spring. I started off with one colour and now I have at least three. I didn't realise that the newer ones changed colour but it was a nice surprise.

They are not all that hard to get to rebloom throughout the year ....if you treat them as a tropical plant and keep them well fed. They do not need or require a dorment period! You need to get them to keep on growing new strap leaves so the bulb stays fat so it will produce new flower scapes!
I have one in my pumproom dorment since October! Temp down there is a constant 40F with the heater kicking in every now and then during the winter! I don't water any of the plants I stored away down there!
I'll bring it up at the end of the month so it will be in bloom for Easter..if I time it right!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back