Squash rotting on the vine

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bruno2

I have a squash plant (zuchinni) that is starting to produce. The first one got a rotten spot on the end and died. I have had this happen in the past also. I had contributed it to the flower staying attached to the end of it and decomposing. Could that be the problem or is it something else?

Also the leaves on these plants have blotchy white spots on them. What is causing this?

We have a lot of rain for the last 3 weeks. I havent had to water in forever. Could any of this be caused by too much water?

Last edited:
The white spots are probably powdery mildew. Our climate here (western Oregon) is often wet and I often get that on my squash. I haven't been successful in eliminating it though.

If the zucs rot it usually means that they were not pollenated!
You might like to use a Q-Tip and do the pollenating to ensure the fruits will develop!

Use a solution of a teaspoon of baking soda to a gallon of water, add a few drops of liquid dish soap. This usually controls mildew problems!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back