? about shrubs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Maggie

We have had an unusual warm march and april and my hydrangeas were full of buds until last night. We had a freeze and this morning they were all wilted and by lunch they were turning black. The new growth on my crepe mytrles, butterfly bushes, mexican bamboo, angel trumpets, camellias and a few of my tomato plants were all hit by frost. We were warned by the weather forecasters but I forgot to cover my shrubs and just brought my house plants back in. Do you think they will bloom this year? It's still early spring and if they put out more new growth hopefully I'll get some blooms.

That is a tough one Maggie!
The hydrangeas...probably wont bloom this year because the buds that would have flowered are dead!
The others should recover and bloom!

Crepes may bloom again, angel trumpts have a very high chance of coming back & blooming.Camelias may, it depends on if you had actual flower buds or just leaf buds. Tomatoes will come back as long as the stems were not affected by the frost. Foliage damage is recoverable but if the entire plant suffered you might want to start some new ones.I agree with Ron on the hydranges. :(

My camellias were just finishing blooming and was putting out new foliage. One blooms in dec. and the other one in feb. All the new foliage turned black so I took a broom today and knock all of the black leaves off. On my hydrangeas the black leaves are curled over the flower buds and some of them seem to be ok. Not sure yet. I only lost 2 of the tomatoes but some of them are still questionable. My Mexican bamboo only lost their leaves stalks look ok. I'm still hoping my crepe mytrles will bloom and my angel trumpets grows new foliage.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back