Anything I can do for a Croton?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

MewMew

I have a croton that I got from my aunt several years ago. I think it may be dead now but I'm wondering if there's anything I could do that would revive it if it's not completely dead yet. It was doing fine for years, but just a few weeks ago the leaves started to droop and look wilted, even though I hadn't changed how I handled the plant. It didn't show any signs of diseases like fungus or anything, so I'm not really sure what may have happened. I've kept watering it as normal hoping that maybe it's not actually dead, but so far nothing has changed. Is there any particular type of plant food or anything that may help?

Got a picture? Where are you (zone or state). How much water is regular?

No picture handy, but it pretty much just looks dead. It's a potted plant and stays in my room all the time so not sure if that matters for the zone (I live in north west Indiana if it does still matter), and I don't know exact amounts of water. When it feels dry or when the leaves would look a little droopy, I'd water it just until some seeped out of the bottom of the planter and into the little catch tray. Used to be the leaves would perk right back up within a few hours if they had gotten droopy. Sometimes I would mix in some plant food I've been using off and on since I got it. When I first got the plant the plant food really helped it grow lots of new leaves when the pets knocked most off. Generic brand "miracle grow" type stuff, don't remember the numbers off hand and don't have the box handy.

Now, it just looks dry, and what leaves are still on it are shriveled up. When it first started drooping I did change up the soil a little. Mixed some newer soil in with the older stuff that it's been in since I got it. No idea if it hurt things more or had no effect at all.

Sounds like it might be lack of light. They are tropical plants and love light and warmth. In some areas they are only seasonal annuals and will not live long. Is the soil damp now? They don't like wet feet so your soil should be well drained. Even on the sandy side. Yes water is esential , however soggy wet soil is not good. Try placing it in a sunny window or under a plant light. Water BEFORE the leaves droop. The drastic change from too dry to too wet could have shocked the plant to death or near death. Without seeing it, I can't tell if you can get it back or not.:(

Crotons are one tropical plant that either grows well, or slowly dies!
Location seems to be important with lots of bright light. Watering should only be given when the soil surface looks dry. They do tend to be heavy feeders while in a growth spurt then none while they are not activily growing!
A general water soluable fert such as 7-7-7 seems to be the right ratio since they do not like too much fert! Actually over fertilizing or over watering will do the plant in!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back