Azaleas and Mosquitoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

booboogaga

My question is "Are mosquitoes attracted to azaleas?". I have several azalea bushes along a mostly shaded fence line. It is plain to see the mosquitoes are prevalent around the bushes. I did have pine straw under the bushes until last fall when it was all removed. No mulch has been put back under/around the bushes. I have heard from some older gardeners that mosquitoes are attracted to azaleas, but I cannot verify this other than the multitude that hang out around my bushes. There is no standing water nearby around the bushes. Can any one verify this or have heard the same thing?

The male mosquitoes could be attracted to the flower! They feed on nectar...while...well, you know what the females feed on!

Welcome booboo!
It is not so much that they are attracted to the type of plant, but that they spend the heat of the day in dense brush. If you have very large Azaleas like most of Florida, you will have a nice area that harbors the pest. They like shady cooler areas. That's why you see and increase in mosquito's in the shade or at night. IF you are in the sun you will not encounter as many. They dehydrate quick and cannot tolerate direct sun for long periods of time.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back