Bamboos in NYC terrace

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Nlgravity

I'm in NYC terrace. Some bamboos are doing better than others. Any clue of what's wrong with the discolored, leafless o es?

4a49a70d-9477-dcb7.jpg

4a49a70d-9488-0aa7.jpg

4a49a70d-9496-3599.jpg

4a49a70d-94a3-ffa3.jpg

4a49a70d-94ba-1977.jpg

4a49a70d-94c9-dc2d.jpg

4a49a70d-94d5-fadb.jpg

4a49a70d-94e4-83f4.jpg

4a49a70d-94ec-e88b.jpg

4a49a70d-94f8-1fba.jpg

4a49a70d-9500-6766.jpg

4a49a70d-950b-3a42.jpg

4a49a70d-9515-4ec7.jpg

4a49a70d-9521-c998.jpg

Nico

Welcome to Gardenforums.com!

What a great space you have there. I have noticed with my potted bamboo that it tends to drop leaves more often than what is ground planted. It is such an invasive plant I have wondered if the leaf drop is due to being root bound. I have noticed that my plants will have a portion die off just before a new section will begin growing. I usually will then take the plant out of the pot and cut away the dead or dying root mass. Replant with new soil and it will thrive again for a while.
There is something I treat like fungus ( just a leaf discoloration/spots) by spraying with copper. It seems to reduce the leaf drop.My Bamboo thrives in high humidity with only rain fall for water. However in times like right now where we have had no rain , I will water about once a month. I see one picture where the soil is actually cracked it is so dry , maybe water is your issue. My soil always remains loose and crumbly. How long have you had them and what type of soil is that?

I had the golden bamboos for 2 years. The others for a few months. Thanks for the compliment about my space. I love it!

I have a mixture of organic soil (the one used for veggies) and organic plant food (dried manure). I water them every other day when is hot and windy. Otherwise let the rain do it's job. On the top of the soil, I have a 3 inch layer of manure. This tend to form cracks in the soil. When checked with moisture indicator, the soil is nice and moist 6 in deep. Drainage has been significantly improved.

Thanks for your reply!

Nico

Nico,
Ahhh now I understand the cracked soil. It may just be natural die off. I studied some of the ground planted bamboo this weekend and it too dies off but it is not as noticeable as when you have a clump contained in a pot. So I am guessing this is a natural occurrence and is nothing to be too concerned about. Now you have got me looking at mine more closely, I will be repotting this week :rolleyes: LOL! I have a 100 gal container , which is no easy task to deal with. Hmmm wanna come help :D

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back