beginner questions

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

FloralDaddy

I just got a bunch of packets of annuals and a bag of seed starting soil. I have them germinating in wet folded up paper towels and there all labeled and in there own sandwich bag. My first question is when are they ready to plant and can plant them in egg cartons? My second question is how much do i water them?

Welcome floraldaddy.

When I start seeds on paper like this I like to move them as soon as the first signs of a root start to show. My thinking here is this is the time that I will cause the lease amount of trauma to the plant. If roots start to interlace with other plants and embed in the paper you will tear some when removing it from the paper.

I don't like egg cartons too much as I think they're a little small but I tend to do largeish vegitable plants - tomatoes, peppers etc. I tend to use little containers I have around like yogurt cups with a hole or three cut in the bottom. There is another idea where you plant the whole container but this requires containers where the roots can grow through it. For this I roll cups out of newspaper or you can buy compressed peat pots.

Young plants need to be kept moist until the roots develop. I keep the soil moist to the touch but not soggy. I like to use a spray bottle. I can spray the top of the soil with out flooding the new shoots.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back