Black thumb from upstate NY

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

We don't have any goats here. They prolly migrated somewhere else. We had the hottest month of any state ever (ave. temp) last month and all the grass died. :D I love not mowing the yards! :)

Look at this guy, will you? Still looking on the positive side. LOL

It's hot here, but nothing like what the rest of you are putting up with.

I wish that were the case here. I spent well over an hour mowing my hill of a yard. Never know I live with my 19 year oldunemployed son. Grrrr

Wow! One of my fave bands is Linkin Park. :D I like their old albums better though cause their new albums just don't sound like LP. And Chester was doing a side project called Dead By Sunrise. That's what I'd be if I didn't mow the yards when they needed it. :eek:
That dude is way too lucky. If we have to mow he should have to mow too. :)

Pics of hill

I don't know if I should post here to continue the conversation about my hilly yard or start a new thread. Please let me know mods.

Here are a few pics although you can't really get the feel of the hill grade.

Attachments

• IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0111.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 282
  • IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0112.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Oops and another

Another pic. The hill to the right of the stairs gets a little sun in the late afternoon. Hill to the left gets sun starting around noon. I was thinking of covering with dark plastic to kill off the grass then do a simple ground cover. Can I do that now or should I wait until next year for better growth? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• IMAG0114.jpg
    IMAG0114.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Hey Karen!
That is a lot of slope!
So the upper area is the house and the lower is a patio with a BBQ. Is that an above ground pool?
If you have the money terracing the area would look great, then you could have lots of level areas to garden, or just grass over!
Solarizing the soil does take time so you could start doing so now.
I'd use a heavy gauge black plastic, You will need something to hold the plastic down. You can buy U shaped pins at Home Depot, or Lowes. They are the same pins used to hold garden fabric in place!

Hi and thanks for the reply. House is next to patio at bottom of slope. Above ground pool at top. I'm trying to sell the house so would like to spend as little as possible. Two prospective buyers mentioned the yard was too hilly so trying to diminish mowing areas so others won't be turned off by it... If that makes sense.

I hear you!
You just want to prettify the area to sell it!
That would rule out any terracing!
You could just work the more level area above the wall and leave the rest in grass!
Some of the retaining wall doesn't look too straight, and is leaning over!
You might want to redo that wall and then garden above it where it's more or less level!
So if you had gardens on both sides of the stairs that would make the patio area more attractive!

Would love to straighten the wall but ran out of money doing other upgrades. I'm officially broke and barely living paycheck to paycheck. Which is why I want to sell. House is too nog for me to maintain upkeep now. :(

Narrow things down again!

Just work on the area above the wall, say 3ft to 4ft into the slope along the full length on both sides of the stairs!
That will keep things simple and you can work on it over the next couple of months.
Check the garden centres and pick up plants that are on sale.
End of season sales are a great way to collect perennials!

Plant tallish plants along the slope side such as hardy Hibiscus (You can start them from seed and they bloom in 6 months), medium height plants in the middle, then short ones up front!
It is the cheapest way to go and you do not have to do it all at once....stretch it over several months, and finish next year!:)
Doing this would really help to disguise the slope, and keep you on a budget especially when you do not have a budget!;)

I appreciate all your help. Do you suggested killing off all the grass first or could I just start planting?

You will need to dig the grass up and shake the soil from the roots first, that is, if you want to start planting this fall!
(Solarizing the soil will take a good month, or more for it to kill off any grass, weeds and weed seeds!)
Level the area then you can start planting! I would recommend you add peat moss, and some well aged manure prior to planting!
Oh, what type of soil do you have? (clay, loam, or sandy)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back