Brand new plan for a brand new gardener

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Hello everyone!

My girlfriend and I will be getting a garden plot (12.5x40) next spring and are brand new to the garden plot world. We have grown container veggies this year and are itching to get some real land. Since we are new to this, I thought it would be a good idea to start planning ahead of time, and I have heard that layout will make a HUGE difference on how well the plants grow and how happy we will be with the plot. The plot is in a garden community with plots all around it. It was the smallest one we could get (we knew anything bigger would be too much at first).

I would really like to know, since all of you have more experience than us, if this plan looks like a good idea. Will the plants grow appropriately? Is there anything we might not know to keep in mind? Basically, what advice do you have based on this layout for some brand new gardeners.

The layout is attached as a PDF.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• GardenLayout.pdf
    16.3 KB · Views: 394
Buck 1st off welcome to our family.
It has been my experience that corn is better pollinated if there are several short rows.
Maybe you could plant 3 or 4 rows of corn 6 feet long and plant the sunflowers at the end of each of these rows.
Just wonderin

Welcome to our forum Buck!
Does the plot run north/south or east/west?
I noticed you didn't take direction on your chart!
It is always best to plant taller plants on the north side and shorter ones south!

Ron, the top of the plan is north. I think this was more coincidence in my planning but I'm glad it worked out.

Kya, will having the sunflowers at the ends of the rows still allow them enough sunlight? I know corn grows 8'+ so I don't want to shade the sunflowers if I don't have to.

Hi Buck ,
Welcome to the site. We are glad to have you.

You plot looks good. Yes the sunflowers should allow enough light for the other plants. What zone are you in, this helps use so we know exactly what your conditions are. Pollinating corn is easy to do mannually. While Kya is right about best type planting for pollination, when you have limitations you can pollinate by walking between the rows with your arms out , thereby shaking each stalk of corn and releasing the pollen. I do that even when I have enough area of corn. Not only is it ensuring pollination, it's FUN! Makes me fell like a kid.

Crabbergirl, we are in zone 4, and thanks for the tip. I think I will plan on putting the corn and sunflowers the way that was suggested.

We have also decided to add beets to the garden. I was a little hesitant because from what I hear they aren't the easiest to grow, but the lady gets what she wants. :D

Any tips are welcome! I'm sure I can use all the help I can get.

Also, is there a way to edit the original PDF I attached?

I have never had probs growing beets... we grow enough to can and make pickled beets.
If she gets what she wants she should try baked beets. Take a large beet wrap it in foil and bake it like a tater. When it is soft to the touch then open it and add butter, salt and pepper

Hi Buck,
Oh I love beets. They are easy to grow if you have well drained soil. They , as most root crops, do not want to have wet feet ;)

About the PDF. You may have to just remove it and insert your new one in it's place , I have never edited a PDF here before. Or you can just post the updated one with a note on your changes. What ever works for you, we have plenty of posting space so don't be shy!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back