Bring back Orange Tree from FL

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mindy01

I need some tips on how to pack a Orange Tree in my Luggage. I know it sounds crazy, i drove last year, this year flying down in 2 weeks. If i wash the roots off and take a couple of waste basket bags to rap it up if it will harm it? Last year i brought a 1 gallon back (Amber Sweet) got 3 large Oranges off it, Tasted sooooo good!! and is doing great in my 4 seasons Sun Room in. I plan on finding a Gallon size their smaller. From the time i Leave to reach home would be about 4 hours in my luggage. Then quickly Plant it. Any shipping tips would be helpful!!

Flying can be an issue. Unless it is in your carry on, the temp in the luggage cabin is not reuglated and can freeze. The bare roots won't be able to withstand the cold. Did you buy the tree or did you dig it? Too bad your trip is during the winter. One option is to have someone ship it to you when you MI weather warms above freezing. The other option would be to purchase one from an online resource at a better time of year..
Under the conditions you mentioned I would not bare root the tree, they reallly don't like that. I would keep a small root ball wrap it in damp newspapre , sevral layers, then wrap in the garbage bags. trim all the leaves off to conserve the plants energy. as soon as you get home plant it and keep it around 70* untill spring. It must have lots of light so make sure it is near a sunny window. They like rich sandy soil and well drained. o wet feet ;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back