Cyclamen

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Does anyone have any good methods of dealing with Cyclamen during the summer months. They are suppose to have a "rest" period and not grow. I have tried putting them in a darker spot and covering them with plates. I can't put them in a closet because our house is too hot if they are not close to the a/c. However they look scraggly if they don't go through their "rest" period. I have had these for a few years now and have never been able to get them to "rest".

K

Kale

I received two for my birthday '07the blooms were just fading, I read up on it and tried to do as instructed. Here is the end result.I did transplant them (instructed) into the pot you see here; each had the same old and now new size pot each look like this one *LOL
So as far as advise...Dont listen to me *LOL No blooms I got a tiny bit of leggy growth then they died. I had them outdoors like instructed in full shade then brought them in.Kept them moist but not wet.

If a plant is to flower between November and April indoors forget me,if it does bloom I didn't have anything to do with it!*LOL

Mail them to me I'll get them to "rest" in no time *LOL:D

Are yours growing, just not blooming?

Kale:eek::eek:

Attachments

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never buy florist cyclamen. They are a waste of time and I hate watching them slowly die!
Switch species: (winter hardy to zone 4) I started some winter hardy cyclamens from seed. It was very interesting to note that I sowed them in January and placed the pot in a ziplock, then I waited! In late May I was going to chuck the soil and write off the experience as a negative. I looked in the pot and here was a small leaf emerging from the soil! I scratched the soil around the leaf and found a small tuber the size of a tiny pea (o)
I did some research which stated that it may take a few months before you see anything. Seems that the seed germinates and develops a tuber before sending up a leaf!
Makes sense to me! This is August, and I have a pot full of seedlings, with more popping up through the soil.
Here's a photo of my little guys!
I will be transplanting them this fall into my front shade garden!
Should be interesting to see what happens next year!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dor

Wow Ron you are the patient Gardener. I am learner so much from everyone her. I started some seeds yesterday. They are in a little greenhouse in my south facing window.

Ron. Those are just cute. Really CUTE... I just may have to try it as you said.. The one I had that I killed was a pot I picked up at the grocery florist.. So now I don't feel so guilty.. Thank you for my redemption..

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are cute!
Now I know why the garden sites want $6 per bulb! They do take their own time to grow, not mine! These guys will bloom in the the late summer through fall after a summer dormancy! Will bloom again late winter'early spring, then go dorment again for the summer months. It will take these guys 2+years to develop a large enough tuber to bloom! Latin name for the ones I have is C. hederifolium! I bought the seeds from www.GardensNorth.com
Patient! Yup! That's me! I wanted something different, and they were on my long list of hard to find perennials to collect, as are various species of winter hardy cacti for my sandy zone 5/6!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com