damping off - yup another thread on it

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

I can start seedlings great. With the use of vermicompost I have not gotten one damping off case when inside this year. But when I move them out I lose almost 1/3 after transplanting. These are showing the classic stem problem where it chokes down at the soil line.

Should I just let them go longer and larger inside? That would mean potting them up again.

Any thoughts on preventing this when outside?

Using a sterile soil-less mix designed for starting seeds is the way to go in preventing damping-off, along with clean sterilized pots, or trays is essential for indoor growing!
Reducing the frequency of watering, and better air circulation helps too!
There is a product called Damp Off, which is a fungicide! You mix it in the water you use for watering your plants!
You really cannot cut corners Mr Yan!

These were young but hardened off.

I have no cases of this before I plant in the ground so I don't suspect the germination medium. To further this point I also had this happen to seedlings direct seeded into the same area as the transplanted ones.

I have removed the mulch from some of the area and have not seen any more cases but it is still too early to really say. Or perhaps it was the 80 F temps and sun we've been getting.

Are you sure it is damping off or is it cut worms. They get you right at the soil line. I've had this problem before too. Good luck.

I would agree that it is something in the soil when you transplant them. Whether it is a sort of fungus or root rot, or grubs of some sort attacking your seedlings, it's hard to say. If you have noticed any little white grubs in the soil that would be your problem. If, however, it is some sort of soil organism, removing some of the mulch can help. I would also add some sand to the soil (unless your soil is already sandy) to improve drainage and therefore circulation. Practice crop rotation as well, don't plant the same thing in the same place every time. And sometimes the earth just needs to rest for a while. It used to be that crops and gardens were rotated to let the soil rest. It was planted with a cover crop to stop erosion. My grandfather used to do this, fields and gardens were rotated and used once every four years. Now with home gardening and lack of space this isn't always such an easy option, so try crop rotation if you don't already. Also, check your soil ph, most vegetables like slightly acidic soil, around 6.5 to 7. Correcting acidity can also sometimes kill off unwanted organisms if they don't like living in that acidity. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Did you keep the seedlings under glass indoors?

Too warm / too moist / no ventilation inside ----> sudden temperature shock / low humidity / wind outside will very likely make a little plant catch a cold.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back