Drowning a bee

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

Apparently you cant drown a yellow jacket although I did try. The reason being is that I was watering my plants and it was an accident and then I decided to keep drowning the fella because I didnt want to get stung (yea I know what your thinking :p). But anyways, he's alive and hopefully he will pollinate my peas.

But you can't drown a pee...;)

I have drowned a lot of yellow jackets but not with a garden hose. I set a bucket on the ground with a little dishwasher detergent in some water in it and hang a piece of bacon or wiener on a string close to the water's surface. The yellow jackets will eat the meat and they will swoop a little when they take off to fly. The detergent reduces the surface tension of the water and the yellow jackets will sink to the bottom instead of float on top.

Beer works too. We are fostering a beee hive for my neighbor ( a mile away) as he starts a new hive. Yellow jackets will invade and kill a honey bee hive . They make a trap for yellow jackets for bee keepers. They first time I noticed yellow jackets at the bee hive there were no joke 1000. They had covered the hive and the pour honey bees we trying to defend their hive, So I statred smashing the yellow jackets. If you leave a beer bottle with about 1/2 the beer in it they will go to the beer instead of the honey. We had a quart bottle that was about 1/2 full of yellow jackets. I didn't want to kill them but we needed to protact the hive. About a week later the hive owner come over with a trap but we still use the beer bottle too. The nibmber of invaders ha dropped so I imagine there was a nest of yellow jackets close by and we have caught most of them up.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back