Edible companion plants for Blueberries?!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Markymark

Reading many posts and different forums really didn't give me a good enough lead besides: Melastomas and rhododendrons (which are not edible). Melastomas appear from what I'm reading to be a tropical plant. The reason I want to companion plant is because there is a lost of unused space around the blueberries and I just gotta do something with that. Mulch is great, but I'm more interested in an edible ground cover. In addition to the two I mentioned apparently comfrey will handle the acidic soil but I was reading it can get a bit invasive. The Melastomas apparently produce an edible berry and are sometimes also called Blue Tongue or Native Lassiandra. I doubt this will work as it can get up to 7 feet tall lol.

I'm okay with edible flowers or anything along those lines.

So far I've ran into petunias being okay with a 5.5 ph level which would make them okay to plant with raspberries and blackberries, I suppose I can plant them with blueberries and see if they can handle that type of acidic soil. Time to look at all the colors on ebay.

Last edited:
I like the way you're thinking Mark, use that space. There out to be SOMEthing that would be edible and low-growing...maybe something "herby". I guess it should be a little shade-tolerant too. What grows amongst the wild blueberries?

We have a lot of wild blueberries here in Fl, nothing edible grows with them that I have found. Mostly they grow in woodland areas with gall berries and holly's. Hmmm that's a good thought though to look at nature.

I just have mine mulched in. It would have to be something with shallow roots too.

I've purchased a bunch of petunias seeds, I'm a big fan of color (because of the antioxidants) and it's just a nice thing to look at. Any opinions on how I should start these? I know how to germinate them indoors, but I was thinking if I'm going to expect them to survive with the blueberries I was wondering if I should try and let them germinate outside with the blueberries. The blueberries, and blackberries share the same bed but are at least 10 feet from each other, are sitting around 5.5, I'm gonna add a bit more sulfur (slow release) to bring the blueberries down a bit. I was reading petunias are unique because they adapt to their environment so maybe they will do okay with the blueberries, the blackberries shouldn't be an issue.

This is what I bought:
Petunia - Dwarf Bedding Mix
Petunia - Star Mix

I'm gonna be buying a black petunia as well:
Black Velvet Petunia

Last edited:
I will be watching to see how they do. I would just pull back the mulch and follow the instructions on the package for your area. Usually here they die by late June due to the heat. :(

I'll check into the ground cherries as I remember the YouTube guy I followed was talking about them. Right now though I've ordered about $20 worth of marigolds, petunias, and nasturtium to plant. All of which from what I've read and edible and tasty. Not sure about the petunias taste but they are edible. I've gotta start looking into a pressure cooker and juicer. I'm pretty sure I've already got both picked out but we will see.

iPhone Typos

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back