foaming tomato

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

dragunzgirl

Ok we got some tomatoes today from a market and well got home and one of the tomatoes is cracked some on top and is Foaming.... whats going on??? is it safe???

It maybe fermenting!
If it smells funny, throw it out!
Always buy firm toms without any cracks of bruising!

Ron's right it's usually a sign of them beginning to rot is the cracked area soft?....Have you cut them open? The usual reason for toms to crack is irregular watering. It happens to my home grown ones a lot if the watering is inconsistent. If it seems ok smell wise then just cut the cracked part off and enjoy the rest of the tomato. It won't turn you into a werewolf or anything if you eat it:D

I usually will cut off the affected area and if the rest looks fine , I am not wasting it. But as stated if it smells funny ....when in doubt, toss it out! Not worth the discomfort of food poisioning :eek:

I doubt the tom would make you feel ill!
I don't like the smell of toms once they start to rot!
Wonder if anyone has made tomato wine?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back