Great Black Wasp

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Welcome to our virtual Garden Club. Join the discussion in our growing community.

Register for your free membership today!

DizzyDaff

Had several of these show up this year on my hollyhock plants - talk about freaking you out!!! Reach for a bloom & put your hand on one of these big monsters!! E-yow!! :eek:
Great Black Wasp Apparently, they had been feeding well as most of the ones we saw were at least 1.5 inches, some larger. Wish I had taken a few pics of them - maybe this year.
Katydid Killer Wasp - we left them alone as DH knew exactly what they were, from growing up in AZ, but we had never seen them here - zone 5a, over 5,500 ft above sea level.
Don't know why they were attracted to the hollyhock stalks :confused: - not the flowers, just the stalks (might've been easy to hang onto since the stems are hairy).

hmmm.... I'm betting they eat Mormon crickets??:eek: as they are katydids, not crickets at all. That would help explain why these wasps were SO HUGE! Now those bugs are some nasty pests!!! :mad:

Gardengoddess

That would be a surprise! Mormon crickets, are those the things that look like bald headed babies? We would get them in California. Now those give me the willies!

Dora/Garden Goddess

DizzyDaff

MC

Hi Mare, no that's not a Morman Cricket - they are more like locusts than crickets. You don't normallly see them East of the Miss. They can get up to around 3 inches long. And in Spring here in the West, they swarm by the hundreds & 10s of thousands. ugh.
They will cover a roadway and it will turn slick with their smashed selves. They can devastate any kind of growing crops. :eek:

mare460

I guess I'll have to make my pic bigger and start a thread to see if anyone knows what it is. Noone on 2 other forums knows...lol.

K

Kale

I guess I'll have to make my pic bigger and start a thread to see if anyone knows what it is. Noone on 2 other forums knows...lol.
Make the pic bigger!!!!!!!!!
Then we can help you out!
Crabbergal will definitely know !

I cant see it ! Email it to me!

Kale:)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com