Hello all.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

firecrackerktm

Charlotte here, sort of a longtime newbie if that makes sense to y'all? I've always wanted a beautiful yard/garden, and I've made various attempts, mostly unsuccessful.

Here are my challenges:
I live in Colorado, an extremely arid climate yet too cold in winter for a lot of desert friendly plants. I have two border collies who, while they don't dig, love to run back and forth and trample things. I have an oddly shaped yard, although I do have seemingly good soil. I also have a full schedule--full time student + full time job. On weekends I am usually not very motivated. I have a lot of other time/money consuming hobbies too like motorcycle riding and maintaining a 44 year old Mustang and a 50 year old pickup and a small fleet of other cars.

So I'll ask specific questions in the proper forums. Just figured I'd stop in here first.

Welcome to our forum Charlotte!
You should look at growing Colorado native species, especially low maintenance ones!!

Hi and welcome! :D I killed a ton of plants till I joined. Now I have 3 really healthy rose bushes and I've learned to grow lots of plants. :) Btw, I live in the prairie with hot and usually very dry summers and winters with the lowest temps usually in the teens.

don't worry about killing plants we all have at one time or another. Last summer during the drought I lost a ton of plants. We just have to keep at it. Take note of ones that are harder for you to kill and go with them. lol Nice to see you on our forum

Welcome Charlotte! Well........we have all had our disasters in the garden, so you are in good company! :D

Glad you found us, we love be helpful, so jump right in and ask questions.

PS what kind of bike do you have?

I'm like a serial plant killer. I'm not sure it's from TLC though. My dog maybe, he does try to make sure everything is well watered ...

I am splitting up and moving the blanketflowers, those are pretty happy here. Last year's flax is coming up great but last year's poppies are not. The bulbs are all doing well, as they tend to do. The roses are actually pretty happy. But the narrow triangle between my front and back yard, that I would like to landscape since grass never grows there, it's a barren dust bowl that I am trying to xeriscape.

I have a Suzuki Marauder and a KTM 200 EXC.

Love the doggies. Yes, dog watering can be toxic to plants.:eek: Not to mention the other effects they have on landscaping. I have 4 large dogs and we have a"racetrack". I thought , ok I will mulch it so it looks like a walk. They went on the outside of the mulch :rolleyes:

Which plants are you using? Have you checked with your local Ag extension office to see which xeriscape plants do well in your area? Here in Fl most of ours are native plants and can be "found" everywhere.

Sold my HD 1340 Low Rider last Jan :(

I can't imagine 4 ... 2 is more than enough.

Yep, my whole list was on there just about. I looked all that stuff up last year. Cali poppies, blue flax, blanketflower, russian sage, lavender, yarrow, globe thistle ... everything that I liked from the xeri list.

We are going to try the invisible fence to keep the dogs out of the garden area. They still have LOTS of yard to run in. I am considering something like this instead of a grassy lawn:
tanyan-meadow-path-l.jpg

That's a LOT of plants to buy at the nursery though and seedlings would never stand a chance.

aww, I'd miss my bike. I rode a Fat Boy in Hawaii last year and it was great, but there is only enough room in the budget for my little Suzuki. Maybe someday. I'd like to upgrade the poor old Subaru and then get snowmobiles first though.

What a gorgeous landscape you have. Oh the view is awesome! I would love to go with less "lawn" and more Eco friendly landscaping. Right now as much as I work I have trouble keeping up with the veggies, so not much time to redesign. Most of my yard is natural swamp land, but what was cleared before we bought it needs to have something done with it. I am just not sure if I will ever have the time, and then of course, like you, that's a lot of plants to buy.;)

Oh I do miss my bike. I just thought about all the crazy people on the road , and I know I would be down for the count if I got hit. It is sad after 40 years of riding that I am not.I had that bike sine 1991. really don't have time either :(
Snowmobiles sound fun. Down here it's quads and jet skis

Goodness that's the ideal not the current! I won't post pics of its current state.

I *just* about got taken off the road by a crazy guy on the freeway ... when I called the police he had already gotten reported several times. It made me glad I was in my F150 not on my bike.

Time is a problem for all of us. :(

Sleds are great, but they are SO expensive. The new one we want cost twice as much as my truck did. Of course, my truck is older, but still.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back