Hello and Daisy Questions!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

lolliemonster

Good morning!

I am so excited to have joined your gardening community! My husband and I purchased our first home last summer and have finally completely enough hardscaping to get around to planting. We have a very sunny side yard along the house that gets dappled shade in the afternoon from a young dogwood tree. I am a huge fan of the cottage garden look, but my husband prefers more 'defined' spaces.

The bed is probably 5 feet deep and 15 feet long. Right now we just have an endless summer hydrangea in a back corner. We plan on planting a substantial part of it with alternating Black Eyed Susans and Shasta Daisies. I would like to save some of the sunnier portions for zinnias in the spring.

From what I've read, right now is a great time to sow seeds in Georgia for daisies. BUT, because we are trying to do defined areas I can't just seed bomb. Should I start the seeds now in containers and then plant them in their final resting place once they are 6" tall? Everything I've read about late summer plantings just tells you to direct sow.

Thank you thank you for any and all of your advice! I am excited to learn more about gardening! I just finished reading an edible gardening book by Walter Reeves when I started my raised fall vegetable beds. Next is all about flowers ;)

-Laura

Here's a picture. There are also some daylilies and a bush of some sort, but we are not attached to either :)

2c545f.jpg

Here's a picture. We are a not particularly attached to the daylilies or the bush of some sort.

Attachments

• Side Yard.jpg
    Side Yard.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 250
First off welcome to our community, it's great to see a new face.
Now I don't know about in GA. but here in Utah Shastas will not reseed but the BES will go crazy and reseed everywhere so I would never be able to keep them where they belong. That said I have tons of hollyhock seeds that I could send when you find a place for your cottage garden.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back