Help me Id this plant

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Markymark

I remember chucking a bunch of seeds into this bed, and well something came up really well.

If you know what this is help me out, I'm planning on pulling them all out as I want to throw some tomatoes up here in stead (possible). I tasted the leaves and it wasn't to my liking...

2ufrqx4.jpg

I think mustard on this one. Look at the shiny green of one leaf the kale I am used to looks duller.

Either way look up a southern greens recipe.

Sautee some chopped bacon with chopped onions
toss in the chopped greens and add water
I typically add chicken base to this too
Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer
simmer until no longer bitter (roughly 20 to 30 mins for thin greens like mustard and turnip but can be an hour for thick greens like kale and collards)

We're doing this as a side to smoked chicken tonight - mine will be a mix of turnip and mustard greens

If it was kale it would have gone to flower, but I already know this isn't kale because I wouldn't have planted it up in the front beds (cause I already know I don't like it). After looking at a few pictures, you are probably right about the mustard greens, and it sounds like something I would have planted out in the front bed.

Sounds like a good recipe if one ate pork :).

Thanks

Last edited:
Worst case is you toss it in the compost pile. Mustard is a great "mineral miner" in the garden and will pull in a lot of minerals that will then go into your compost. In fact several places are working with types of mustard as a soil remediation method when there is heavy metal contamination in the soil. You harvest the plant then remove it and the harmful metals with it. Some groups are also working on collecting the metals from the mustard after that too.

Im wanting to grow zebra tomatoes so they get the boot. Ive got so many tomatoes growing i should be fine but i love varieties.

(Typing on my phone so sorry for typos)

Take it to the local soup kitchen if you don't want it. They will know exactly what to do with it. But I still agree with Ron, It looks like curly leaf kale to me. If you taste it and it is sweet it is kale, if it is "pinchy" or spicy , it is mustards.

I didn't eat it, but my family did and it tasted too bitter for them. I really don't have much small leaves left, I'll probably take it down to the food bank and give it to them, it's not like it's inedible, it just isn't the tastiest edible lol!

Being bitter I bet it is the mustards. They can be very good if you do them like a wilted salad. Fry bacon ( or turkey bacon) in small bits with onion and garlic, reserve the grease/fat in the pan and deglaze with 1/4 cup water and 2 tsp vinegar ( I like either apple cider or a mild balsamic )and pour over the greens while it is hot, or you can do a quick stir fry of the greens directly in the pan. This is great for all greens not just bitter greens;)

I know what you mean. Some Times I feel like Marie Antoinette and "let them eat cake". :eek: But really I take good stuff too. Mostly when I am just tired of canning and eating it. The soup kitchen will def appreciate anything they get!

Oh Mark,
I almost forgot ....I have grapes:D
I know they are hard to see but they are there.

Attachments

• 228 (800x530).jpg
    228 (800x530).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 251

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back