How do they know when to bloom?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok now , I have actually been recently asked this question. This is in reference to Christmas Cactus.

Christmas Cactus are light triggered to bloom. When the days get shorter in the winter, it triggers the plant to bloom. It just coincidentally in North America , happens to be at Christmas.
Blooming
You can make your Christmas Cactus bloom several times a year and even in the summer. Placing the cactus in a closet with no light will trigger the blooming cycle. Reducing light to a max of 6-8 hours a day will do the trick. This can be done several times throughout the year. You must wait until the plant has dropped all it's flowers before beginning the cycle again.
Care
As with most succulents, these plants like well drained conditions and do not require frequent watering. Do not over water, allow the pot to dry completely before watering.They prefer filtered light and a mist from time to time. Direct hot sun will scald the plant.You should protect them from freezing, although I have had them survive moderate freezes as long as they were not more then over night. A cactus and/or succulent fertilizer is best for feeding. Fertilizer will enhance the bloom colors and longevity.

This plant is my personal plant. It is currently lows in the upper 40's with highs reaching into the 80's.

Attachments

• Christmas Cactus.jpg
    Christmas Cactus.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Christmas Cactus 2.jpg
    Christmas Cactus 2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 304
Hi Crabbergirl-

Thanks for the info! How long should a Christmas Cactus be left in the closet to force blooms?

I put ours in the dining room which gets natural day conditions with no outside light. It is blooming up a storm right now.

Mine stay outside untill mid October as long as there's no frost. By then they are covered with buds. I move them inside and place in an east facing window so they get only day time light coming through the window.
I only water once a week and let the soil dry before rewatering.

Some people place an opaque plastic bag over their plants at sunset and remove it at sunrise!
Using the closet thing tends not to work since most people forget to take them out each day when the sun rises, and return them once the sun sets!

Mumio,
Welcome to Gardenforums! We are so glad you are here.

Typically what I do when I want to force bloom my cactus, is to place it in the closet in the morning when I leave for work. When I come home and it is still light out, I take the plant out and let it get just a few hours of light.( Our summer light can be as much as 15 hours) Reducing the plants light to just 6 hours will force the blooms. Then I repeat the process the next day and until I see buds on the plant. Once I see the actual color of the bud,and the bud begins to open, I will leave the plant out. Usually in a room that does not get a lot of sun. As the buds progress and start to open, I will place it where I can enjoy it. Keep in mind the sooner it receives a lot of light the blooming will move forward quickly and the flowers will drop.

Last edited:
I have mine in a south facing window with no shade or curtains on it as it's on a landing by my stairs and the door is in my bedroom to get to it.
It stays in the same spot all yr round. It is not right in front of the window, it sits back on a table and I do have a portable greenhouse with out the plastic on it in front of it but nothing on the shelves. It's about 2' back from the window. It gets lots of sun, it is all budded up and getting ready to bloom. It blooms every yr for me. I sometimes neglect it and forget to water it and it comes back. It has been really droopy a few times. It grows every yr too. It's getting big, probably should repot it once it's done blooming. I keep my house cool in the winter and it does not bother it.

Good morning! Thanks for the warm welcome as well as the great info. I've just purchased a new Christmas cactus and I'm going to try some of these ideas to see what will work well for me here in Massachusetts. I have an older one that rejuvenated itself earlier this past summer so seeing those lovely blooms again made me want to get another :)

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hello all my friends I hope you all had a blessed Christimas. I missed you all a lot. I just bougt a new Christmas cactus. I have it on the bar in the familyroom. I hope I have good luck with this one. Thanks for the tips.

Cactus

My red christmas cactus is blooming again. It bloomed before its time and I thought it was through until next christmas but suprise is on me. Here it is blooming again.

Attachments

• Pics. 1-15-2012 014.jpg
    Pics. 1-15-2012 014.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 345
  • Pics. 1-15-2012 012.jpg
    Pics. 1-15-2012 012.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 358
As long as they get short days and long nights they will continue to bloom intermittently after their first full flush!

Didn't know that Ron. After they bloom the first time I set them on a table in front of a window in a spare bedroom during the winter and water them once in a while.

Hi Maggie,
Somewhere we were just talking about this and how to get blooms even in summer. I'll see if I can find the thread for you.

It is just a matter of finding the url that you want to merge a thread into! It's easy and helps clean up some of the clutter, and have like threads under one a topic thread!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back