Irrigation System

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

twinturbotom

Couldn't find an irrigation section so hopefully this gets viewed!

Starting a new garden space about 30-40 yards from house (spot with most sun light). Garden will be contain 3 raised beds (8X4 with 4x4's), seating, pots with herbs, and an old well hand pump. Layout attached.. Ignore text as we were just jotting down crops and companions (probably end up planting a third of whats written).

gardenLayout2.jpg

Recently picked up some 59 Gal wine barrels to collect rain water from gutters (roughly 2 meters higher than beds). Working on the irrigation system and wanted to open up a discussion about my proposed design and ask for any input / suggestions you may have.

I intend on having 2 soaker hoses per bed (running long way between 3 rows of crops) fed by my rain water collection barrels. I may lay these on top of the soil, or bury them 6 inches deep (surrounded by a thin layer of rock to decrease clogging). Thoughts? Long term I may convert this to a drip irrigation system. I will improve soaker hose uniformity by strategically locating holes and changing sizes based on distance from source.

The key variables in the systems design at this point are the locations adn types of pumps, check valves, control valves (ball, gate, needle, &c.). Many of you here have more experience maintaining a garden of this size so I would appreciate any feedback on daily operations that may steer me in one direction over another.

I picture the hand pump being used to fill up a watering canteen / wash hands. I may or may not use it to drive flow through the beds. I may or may not add a mechanical pump. I've sourced out solar panels, battery, pump, &c. but I haven't pulled the trigger on them yet. I'll probably implement the irrigation in phases where the first phase will be gravity fed soaker hoses. Long term the soaker hoses may be replaced by drip irrigation with emitters which will probably require the pump, where the soaker hose may work with or without the pump.

I think the mechanical pump will be at point1 and the hand pump at 2 so I can potentially leave the hand pump open and drive a water fountain (nice half barrel sink I can pipe the drain into before the pump to recirculate). I may have a check valve before point 1 (not really needed) and one right before the 3 way distribution to beds (after point 2). Each bed line will have a valve to throttle flow per bed. I'll have valves at the pumps (hand and mechanical).

We're breaking ground next weekend, retaining wall perimeter, building beds, and irrigation will follow the weekend after. I'll try and get some images out as we work but I'd love to hear thoughts on what I'm thinking so far. Thanks.

garden-pipe1.jpg

Hi Tom. Welcome to the forum.
I like the rain barrel idea and the soaker hoses. I use soaker hoses through my entire garden ( which has grown the year to a little over 2000sf). I don't bury my soakers but they are covered with newspaper and then mulch. I keep them directly in the rows to reduce the amount of water needed. I have found they actually last many years and , in-fact do not clog, I am assuming because they are actually protected by the paper to some degree.
One thing I do know ( due to low head pressure from my well) is that you will want a mechanical pump of some kind to push the water thought the soakers. I have started using the pump on the well as opposed to head pressure because the water will not travel to the end of the hose without adequate pressure. I also have found that connecting the hoses end to end reduces the effectiveness of the end hose.
therefore drip might be your best option, unless you don't mind switching out hoses from time to time.
I would highly suggest mulching to help retain moisture, especially if you want to rely heavily on your rain barrels.

hope this helps you make a decision.

Ps looking forward to following your project

I appreciate the response and insight. I'll put the soaker hose on top of soil, cover with paper, mulch and locate them right near plants! Thanks. I thought someone said having it below the top makes the plants roots grow as they move toward the water like the plants do toward light... not sure there is any merit to it but I have no problem rolling out something you have working!

So I just picked up the hand pump and barrels (have a few of them not shown).

barrel1.jpg
barrel-closeup1.jpg

They are gorgeous aren't they :)!

pump:
pump1.jpg

We're cutting 1 barrel in half and mounting the pump to it as an outdoor sink... can't wait for that! Doing a strawberry barrel with another one then using the others for gutter water.

oh and we started the benches (went a bit larger and more rustic than the sketch posted). Image of both is pretty poor.
both-crop1.jpg
up close to the right 1 at least does some justice to the wood (still need to sand and finish it).
right1.jpg

The base of the barrel / porch is 1-2 meters above the soaker hose. How much pressure does your well have?

Based on your advice I will end up installing a solar powered mechanical pump. I'll start with gravity for a few weeks while I finish up all the other pieces of this project. I've done alot of engineering work on manifold distribution and was going to make my soaker hose such that the outlets closest to the source would be much smaller than the end of the line to promote uniform flow. This will be temporary as you recommended a pump and I feel the need to get more solar panels!!!

So I'm going to install PVC underground with all the PVC valves and what not... sound like the right direction? I was considering PEX or some other softer tubing but PVC is sturdy, dependable, and cheap... I'd love to hear a case for other materials as I'm not buying irrigation stuff until mid next week....

This week/weekend is all about leveling the land...fun fun fun

I love the ascetical items you have. That should be really cool when you get done.

We have a 550 deep', 4" artesian well with great pressure, however, it is not enough to get it into the house or enough to run hoses in the garden. Even when it is reduced to 3/8" hose. We use a 3/4hp pump to force the water so we have good pressure. The further from the well head , the less pressure we have. With gravity feed I don't think you will get the flow you need to reach the very end of your system. Sounds like you are on the right track.
Reducing the diameter of your PVC to at least 1/2 will help. The sprinkler system I rigged for my flower beds I reduced to 1/4 for drip and bubbler's and it works great. And yes, PVC is cheap especially if you get the thin wall no need fo CPVC outdoors. It is easy to work with too.I love Lowe's or Home Depot for pipe and fittings. They have every reducer and coupling you can imagine!
I had a roll of the black rubber irrigation hose used commercially. I like the workability and the lack of need for 90* turns but it is costly for large projects and only comes in a couple sizes. You still use the PVC fittings and glue, but It is bendable so corners can be rounded rather than fitted with PVC. If I had unlimited funds I would go with that over PVC. Just one chicks opinion! :D ;)

Garden update

It's been lots of digging! Lots more to go.

Here's one of the irrigation manifold:

manifold - Copy.jpg

The rain barrels are up on the porch, so I still have to dig a 80ft long trench!
g1 - Copy.jpg

Beds will be 3 4X4's tall. Not all of them are there yet! We are about to turn our attention to the french drain and retaining wall.... i.e.... more digging!!!!

Plan is to have plants in beds in 10 days!

Thanks for the photos!
They give us a better idea of what you are doing!
Looking good!

Plants in beds!

We've finished the two retaining walls, drainage system, beds, & most of the irrigation! Put the plants in beds too! YAY!

frnt11.jpg
side1.jpg
top-far.jpg
Puppy and plants
IMG_0490.jpg

Still on the to do list:
finish the hand pump / outdoor barrel sink piping.
Mulch the circle.
fabricate benches: We filled up our oxygen & aceteline tanks and picked up some steel to make legs for the large circular benches.
connect rain barrel on porch to circle.

OMGosh Tom you have some wonderful watering systems goin there.
You are right they are a lot of work, but worth every minute I bet.
Welcome to our world here at GF

Good job Tom!

I hate to say this but, at first glance, it looks like a cemetery! I know this was not your intention! I just had to say that it does remind of one!

Mulch!

Thanks!!

Woah this thread went in a different direction than my initial question... We have some family in town this weekend so we rushed to finish the underground irrigation (valves, boxes, PVC) and mulched!!

So here's some images with mulch...getting closer to complete!
mulch-f1-kbD.jpg
mulch-s1-kb.jpg
mulch-b1-tm.jpg
mulch-f1.jpg

I still need to install the hand pump (having issues separating the much too long steel pipe that's been connected to the pump for probably 100 yrs!), soaker hoses, grade the back and sides, plant grass and flowers along the sides, & connect rain barrels to garden (75 ft of digging left on that one!). Think we can get all that done before we pick our first salad?

Rons Garden... once we got to this point:
graveYard.jpg
we started joking that people may think we're about to bury some bodies!

Last edited:
Hahahah!
Nice to know I wasn't the only one!! It is that formal look that gives the impression!
So, who did you bury?
Once you get everything done, and everything is growing, that imression will fade away!
You put a lot of hard work into your design!

80% done!

we finished making the benches! photo 2 - Copy.jpg Dug trench and piped from rain barrel to garden! YAY! Anyone recommend a filter of some sort for the barrel to garden or is that unnecessary?

Also added up-lighting and a chandelier between the two trees... photo 3 - Copy.jpg I'll have to append this post with a few images at night; looks gorgeous!

Still have to put in the hand pump and get grass to grow around the back!

Irrigation almost done!

below is an image of the 100ft long 2ft deep trench, dug by hand as the trend continues. Image also shows the 1-1/2 PVC piping from a rain barrel on the porch the garden...
trench1.jpg
That image shows about 60% of the trench. I also ran low voltage landscaping wire and an extension cord to the garden for lighting and other accessories.

One that was complete we extended the gutter (red rectangle), ran downspout into barrel, added overflow downspout, and a connection to the main garden line! Inside of the barrel there is piping that picks up from the bottom of the barrel once the system is primed.
rainB2.JPG

Once that was done we build the outdoor sink...by the time we finished it was too dark for photos so all you get is the plan we build to.
CAD_sink.JPG

The last thing... i think... is to add my valves and soaker hoses to each bed. I'll try and update in a few days..

Last edited:
sink

Thanks! It's been fun... Phase I will be completed this evening (bed valves and soaker hoses)... we'll have to wait to see when phase II will begin :)

sink1.jpg

added a little spigot for watering plants outside of the bed. Still have little details to clean up...

sink-back2.jpg

Thanks!

It doesn't look like a pet cemetery anymore!
It is a nice formal setting! It'll look great once the plants fill in!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back