Is this caterpillar a threat?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

franktrog

Hey everyone!

I planted a weeping willow in our back yard early last fall and this year we were extremely happy when it started producing leaves. I happened to walk outside to check it yesterday and noticed a bunch of black specs over one part of the tree. Upon further inspection I noticed that it was swarming with a black and yellow spotted caterpillar. I thought it was cool, but now today I checked it and a huge section of the tree has been devastated by these caterpillars. Should I remove them? Also what kind of caterpillars are these?

Any light on this would be great!

Regards,

Frank

Here is a link to my photobucket album with pictures of the tree and caterpillars and a moth I found on it too.

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll56/serihon/Caterpillars/

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. I thought only butterflies and moths came from caterpillars, so somethings interesting learned for sure. Is this a threat we will have to keep an eye out for yearly or all year round as well?

Regards,

Frank

There maybe two cycles of egg laying so after killing off the first round you will need to keep an eye open for the second round in a month or so and spray again!
And, yes, it will be a yearly chore!
Welcome to our forum Frank!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back