Looking for a plant to use as a screen

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

tominohio

mailbox076.jpg

Okay decided to start from scratch. I still might go with an ornamental grass, but I figured I would fish for some other ideas as well. I was hoping for something between 5-8 ft tall to use as a screen in front of that row of pines. The bottom branches are about 5 ft off the ground. Hoping to fill in that space so I don't see my neighbors, and also to give it a more natural/ wild look. Those pines are probably 50-60- ft tall. The picture is facing east. So to the right would be south, left north, behind west.

The row of trees is about 100 ft. I would like to provide screen for pretty much the whole length. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mailbox.jpg

This is the view from our large picture window in the living room. We put corn out there by the 4x4 post in the winter. We get lots of deer, and of course squirrels and birds. This image was taken from my lazy boy. I find myself staring out my window as much as at the tv. Love to see the wildlife.

mailbox075-1.jpg

I'm also considering maybe taking down a couple of the pines to bring more light to the area, in case I find something I like that needs more sun than this area will allow.

Cedars come to mind!
They would be more of a permanent screen then tall growing grasses. They wont need much in the way of yearly maintenance!
Emerald Green Cedars would blend in well with the pines and wont look out of place!
They are not too fussy, and do well in part sun and bright shade!
I'd have a look around the neighborhood to have a look if anyone else have cedars growing! Check out how healthy they are and what they are used for just to give you an idea whether to try them out.
You would need to calculate how may you will need if you space them every 3ft!!
Up here we can buy them in bulk and bare rooted for a fraction of the cost of container grown ones! If cost is not a problem, I would go with container grown trees.
I've seen trees 3ft to 6ft and the price goes up with the height!
Have a look at this website: http://gardenforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76025#post76025

In the first pic on the opposite side of the street..looks like a couple of Cedar trees growing there. I like Holly bushes for privacy also. I have 3 that are about 6 ft and cover 4 foot across space. It takes a while to grow them but they're evergreen as the Cedars and offer pretty red berries in the winter.

There is really no quick solution for a screen!
Ornamental grasses would be a quick screen but only temporary and they have to be pruned down in late winter....then you have to wait for them to regrow!
Holly are slow growing as are rhodies and azaleas! But they would look great once they reach maturity!
Cedars are fast growing compared to other evergreens, and can put on a foot, or two per year....depending upon which cultivar, or species!

You could create a berm!
A berm is a raised garden which can be a few feet higher then the surrounding soil!
You can then plant then with evergreen shrubs!
Google berm for more info on how to create them!
To get you interested in this possiblity have a look at this article: http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implement/soil_berms.html

Thanks for the ideas folks. As for the berm idea, I want to do that in my backyard on the same side as this. We moved in here in 2006. I guess back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's there were three greenhouses in the backyard. It used to be called Graham's Greenhouse. There was also a pond in the backyard.

Well I guess the story is the guy got tired of the greenhouses, and got tired of the mosquitos...... Took his bulldozer and pushed them into the pond. :eek:

So when we moved in there was a sizeable amount of cinder block and glass where the pond used to be. Also trees that were probably 20 yrs. old grown into them. I have renetd a bobcat to try and clean it up some. But ultimately I would like to dump fill dirt in this area and create a landscape berm such as you mentioned.

I'll get some pics sometime in the next couple days to show ya.

Ginger is great until a freeze. I also like bamboos. Ron's suggestion of cedars is great. They also offer a great wind break.

I would leave the Pines alone. They provide a good mulch for your garden to keep weeds away. Im lucky to have plenty of Pines here in GA.

I am looking for windbreak/screen too. Cedar or arborvitae is out for us because of deer. I am looking at using junipers. Currently leaning towards the Spartan cultivar that gets about 15 feet tall by 5 feet wide.

Dora/GardenGoddess

I am looking for windbreak/screen too. Cedar or arborvitae is out for us because of deer. I am looking at using junipers. Currently leaning towards the Spartan cultivar that gets about 15 feet tall by 5 feet wide.

Dora/GardenGoddess

Is that a tree? Got any pics?

Hi Tom,

Yes the Spartan juniper is a tree. If you do a google image search you can find some good pictures. They look similar to the ever present arborvitae but they are more prickly so the deer don't prefer them.

Dora/GardenGoddess

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back