My apple trees need help Some kind of bark problem

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I have no idea but I'm having a little of that on my apple. I'm going to watch it close this year and see what happens. If I can get someone to look at it I will.

I did some research online and i found it might be something called drought stress.

It would make sense because last year we had a nasty drought that killed many of my other trees :(

Would you guys agree or should i keep looking at other possible problems?

If you get blackened area on the branches it could be Fire Blight. Cut off all the black area and burn it. If you trim too closely at the ground level and remove bark, the tree will suffer.(mower blight) Maybe that bark was loosened by beetles under it and fell off?

Last edited:
Dought stress wouldn't cause that kind of damage, but insects would!
To check carefully lift the dead bark and have a look for powdery residue underneath!
If you find holes in the wood then it is borers!

I don't think it is fire blight because it does not effect the leaves or branches only a little above the graft. I cant exactly cut that or it will kill the whole tree.

I will look under the bark to see if there is powder.

Thanks

I don't know where you live but if you have an extension agent near by there is a good chance that they can tell you what is happening to your tree.
I too think it is something eating the bark.
I am not able to find bark damage from drought.

If you have a small very sharp pruning knife you can carefully remove the damaged bark without hurting the tree! You can carve bark the bark to live bark, look under the dead bark for any unusual trace evidence of inscet attack!
The bare wood on the tree will eventually grow over the wound and seal it!
Don't be squeamish that you will hurt the tree, it wont feel anything and will repond by sealing the wound!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back