My bamboo project in 2012

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Ok then, I have some shower pan that would be thicker than the poly so I might repourpose that to the bamboo area.
Here are the 3 pots I have now, they all came from one.
The first one is over the second story roof in height. Amazing growth since seperating it and repotting.

The others are small. But they are putting on lots of new growth.

Attachments

• 1 of 3 bammboo (532x800).jpg
    1 of 3 bammboo (532x800).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 357
  • bamboo 2 (533x800).jpg
    bamboo 2 (533x800).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 320
  • bamboo3 (532x800).jpg
    bamboo3 (532x800).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 359
Those are some healthy bamboos. :D Checking it out by the woodwork on the house, the height you mentioned and the medium shades of green, I'm almost certain what you have is a Phylostachys but not a very difficult one to contain so the shower pan could work. And it's a long-leaf variety! :cool: My fave!

You did an excellent job of re-potting, btw. :) Oh, and there is another containment method I totally forgot and it's used by most professional bamboo growers. If you can get someone to dig a trench (1 foot wide x 2 1/2 feet deep) around the bamboo area, it will help to store water for the bamboo and you can then use a shovel blade to cut any runners you see in the trench in the spring or fall. Just grab the shovel when you see new shoots coming up at either time of the year. They only send out runners twice a year. Garden fencing or boards can be used to prevent anyone from stepping into the trench and getting hurt.

Just so you know, I may not log into the site every day but I never miss a day checking the threads. This site and you guyz mean a lot to me.

If you do decide to grow bamboo in-ground, pics please! :D

Ahhh Josh, we have become very fond of you too. It is a site with great people and usually when one of us is gone we notice. Your advice on many things has been great and I personally always look forward to seeing you here ;)

The repotting was tough because all of that was in one 130gal pot. I had a tough time getting it out of the pot but hacking into 3 parts wasn't too bad. It did wear on my back though. But it is done now. :D I just have to find the right pots for 2 of the big ones. I do want to keep them on the deck, I am still trying to decide if I want to plant it in the yard or not. I would really like to have some of the giant bamboo. But I know I would never be able to keep it in check. :rolleyes: Here if I dig a trench as you said above, it will just stay full of water. We are actuall just at sea level so any hole keeps water most of the year :(

Oops! I forgot about living by the ocean so yeah, you could prolly raise goldfish or koi if you dug a trench, lol. :p And I def know about the back. :eek: I've had to dig up bamboo runners over an entire yard when a neighbor's bamboo got out of control. Btw, bamboo would look awesome on a deck in pots! :D I needa try that too.

Nay, koi and goldfish would just be an appetizer for the gulls, egrets and cranes, Mr. Trax. LOL Even as far inland as I am, one of my friends is raising koi and has to screen the pond to keep from feeding the birds.

Yeah, we were feeding the racoons here so we only had goldfish and koi for one summer. The last koi we bought were the winged ones and they were awesome but the racoons got those too and i didn't want to have to deal with a fish tank. :p
The lights just blinked so i think the storms are getting closer. I hope they don't knock the power out.

Nay, koi and goldfish would just be an appetizer for the gulls, egrets and cranes, Mr. Trax. LOL Even as far inland as I am, one of my friends is raising koi and has to screen the pond to keep from feeding the birds.

I lost 5 koi in the pond to great blue herons. They are fond of people so they don't scare easy. Tim and I were just talking about pergola over that area so maybe it would make it less accessible for the birds. Owls are a real problem with ponds here too. :rolleyes: But they were here first!

Yeah, we were feeding the racoons here so we only had goldfish and koi for one summer. The last koi we bought were the winged ones and they were awesome but the racoons got those too and i didn't want to have to deal with a fish tank. :p
The lights just blinked so i think the storms are getting closer. I hope they don't knock the power out.

I have a friend who has fence laid across his pond , but it looks like junk to me. It keeps the critters out but it is not much to enjoy. :(
Stay safe!

Yeah, that's why I quit buying koi fish cause I didn't want a screen over the pond. I can go to the lake and see fish, lol. :D
The storms aren't here yet but it's after sunrise and it's still dark and I hear thunder. Btw, I really hope the doctor can get Tim well. An infection like that can't be very easy to deal with.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back