Need advice.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

You guys got it all wrong!
Amaryllis are tropical (Except for some of the newer varieties)
They do not need a rest period, nor do they need a cold period!
You can grow them year round in a sunny or bright window!
They all need to develop leaves, the more the better in order to bloom! Mine even develop two or three flowering stems at one time, or in succession and repeat every three to 4 months depending on cultivar!
I leave mine in their pots from year to year. I wash out an inch of the old soil and top dress with fresh!
I fertilize mine regularly, every other week with a water soluable fert such as 10-30-15 at half strength!
The spend the summer (from mid spring to late October outdoors in sunny spot with some afternoon shade.
I have not repotted mine nor have I divided the bulbs and hae several per pot!
They love to be crowdedin their pots, so fertilizing them is really important!
I water them once the soil surface dries out and give them a good flushing until the water runs out the bottom to remove excess salts!
The only time I give them a rest period is when I get tired of them and I need a break from them from late October-December! Otherwise they are in a sunny window rather then in the dark in the basement!

So, get with it guys and read up on their culture and care and you will be successful and will have terrificly blooming amaryllis year round!
You will also have them for many, many years too!
----------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with ya 99.9% here Ron! I had an Amaryllis that I treated very poorly and it did just fine for several years. I sat it outside in the sun,rain,wind and yes,even some hail. ( the wind was cool,as it went airborn sometimes ) :p - The reason I didn't go 100% with ya about this is because I never fertilized,but I can see where that just might help the process out!! :)

Ron, the only reason mine go to the basement after they bloom is I need the room for the others to bloom a long with my cactus that are starting to bloom, they get lots of bright light and will keep growing all winter in the basement. I grow epie, broms and other cactus in my basement all winter.

Bear

Very good PR and Bear!
It comes down to whatever works for you since everything I read on their culture and care is not exactly universal!
Everyone has their own thoughts on it, but in the end they all like to be pot bound, watered often when they are actively growing from early spring to late fall(unless you have them in a sunny window for the winter months---they tend to slow down with the less light), fertilized regularly to encourage more leaves to fatten up the bulbs, bright light to full sun, and to summer them outdoors!!
That pretty much covers all bases!

well there you go....I found ..like you all seem to have also...thye really are not in alot of need of help...the first time I got one...I took to good of care of it and killed it...LOL...when I just let it go and really didn't do much but water here and there they grew and grew and bloomed all the time...

Charisma blooms

Charisma started to open this morning :) I'm still waiting on Apple Blossom and clown to open along with red loin they should be blooming by the end of next week I hope.

Bear

Charisma.jpg

Very pretty Gardenbear. My two new minitures aren't doing much. One bloomed and one didn't. I think I will fertilize all of mine today and give a little water.

It looks like all of mine will bloom within the next couple of weeks but I am still upset that the one that should have been pink turned out to be apple blossom. ( I'm sure that I will get over it)

Clown in bloom

at last it open up this morning but didn't have time to post a pic, it was slow in blooming, just two more to bloom so it shouldn't be long

Clown

clown.jpg

That is very pretty GB. I used to buy my grammie one every yr. We never had any luck getting them to bloom again for us. Will have to give it a try again. She used to love to watch them grow as they could grow alot in one day

Red lion

the red lion bloomed monday, so I just got around to loading it up to photobucket and want to share it will you guys, my apple blossom hasn't bloomed yet, I hope it does this year would love to see the colors in it.

enjoy

lion1.jpg

I have mine out in the yeard. Usually I end up missing the bloom at it's peak. Those are beautiful GB!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back