New from Texas

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

scjarena

I'm live about 40 miles SW of Houston, so I've got many challenges growing stuff where I'm at, from the extremes of the Gulf coast climate, pests, droughts, etc., so I need all the help I can get.

Welcome to our forum scjarena!
Off the top of my head...you should go with drought tolerant as well as heat tolerant plants! It is best to work with the conditions you have rather then trying to fight it!
Have a good look around were you live to see what everyone else is growing to help you decide.
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

Hi Scjarena,
Ron had a great suggestion to look at other properties and what they have planted. Identify what you like and what is doing well in what conditions, (sunny, shady high and dry low and damp). A great source of local planting information is you county Ag center. They often have hand outs for native and local plantings as well as classes for gardeners. Master Gardeners at Ag centers will be happy to provide a wealth of information for free. Lowe's garden centers as well as A.C.E. ( not sure if you have A.C.E. have well trained garden staff that know the plants they carry very well) You can also google "garden plants for Houston Tx" or flowers to grow in Houston Tx. You will get all the info you need right on your computer. But as always we will be glad to help. Are you interested in Flowers, veggies, xeriscape plants, rock gardens,annuals , perennials or shrubs? There are so many ways to go.

Hi Scjarena, I too live in Texas but we don't get as much rain as you do. I'm in Austin. glad to see the drought is going away. that last year was a rough one.

Hello and welcome Scjarena, I live in a suburb of Houston. We have gotten quite a bit of rain this spring and my plants and veggies are really loving it. Everything is alive and blooming.

I don't know what you like but I have irises, daylilies, cannas, roses, crepe myrtles, a few liles, zinnas, holly hocks, four o'clocks, aloe and elephant ears. Those seem to withstand the heat and drought in our area.

Hi there
Welcome, it is great to see a new face.
We have several here that live in TX so they will no doubt have some good info for you.

Welcome aboard! Glad to see that you jumped in with the family here -- that's cool!! Hope you find your time here one of the best!!! Welcome once again!!!! :):)

Welcome to the forum! :) We live in central OK and it was epically dry and hot here last summer. But the muscadine grapes, peonies, tea roses, tulips, hardy hibiscus, blue hosta, and tons of other stuff survived and they're doing great this spring! :D Tiger lilies and Irises are doing awesome too.
I think we had like 2 1/2 months in the 100's.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back