Our Provincial bird.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kildale

Our bird is the Steller's Jay, took this on the sundeck.

Attachments

• steller.jpg
    steller.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 239
They are a beautiful bird. We have the Stellar's Jay along with the Scrub Jay. Actually we have at least one other but not right here. The Mountain Jay is a little east of us.

Stellers are probably my fav Jay. We have them here along with scrub and pinion jays.
Our state bird is a stinkin "California" seagull

I haven't seen a meadowlark west of the Cascade Mountains, but there are plenty on the other side. We do have plenty of the seagulls here in western Oregon.

Utah picked the seagull because they saved the crops when locusts were devouring everything in sight.

I haven't looked for a meadowlark since I left Kansas. But I have a pair of blue jays and a pair of cardinals who use my bird bath.

We had a bird bath but David (son-in-law) bumped into it with the riding lawn mower and broke it. I put it back together with epoxy and it lasted until he hit it again. I might have fixed it again, but he didn't say anything. It just disappeared.

I have a small web site with just the birds using the water dishes and a bath. There are over 20 species. I find it easier to put the pictures on a page rather than post 30 odd pictures. I don't think I'm allowed to post web sites.

The state bird here is the brolga. It's large, about 3ft tall:)

Attachments

• brolga.jpg
    brolga.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 260
Wombat is in Australia but I don't know what state.. and Wombat that is one cool looking bird
Kil you are absolutely right about the seagulls eating the crickets aka Mormon crickets aka katydid aka Anabrus simplex and saving the crops back in the 1850's
We still get them every few years and they do mass destruction on gardens and crops.

Last edited:
Yes , I knew he was in Australia, and I think it is Queensland, as that has that bird as the States emblem. I have all the U S State birds in a page on my web site, many of course sent to me. I also have all the flowers, most insects, butterflies, trees and a few reptiles etc.

Yep you're right Kd, I'm in Qld. Brolgas are great as they're famous for doing a wonderful mating dance, which goes on for quite a while.:)

Yeah sure you can use it Kd, don't worry about the credit it's not a big deal for me to share pics:)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back