Paint or Stain a pergola

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

So those 4x4's you see are not excatly great looking, but what I plan on doing is taking some of the landscaping timber (it's redish), and wrapping it around the tops of the beds to give me a bit more depth + it'll make it look a little better imo!

If you guys wanna see the pergola now here is a few pics on my facebook. It just rained here so I can't really buy any compost, so I'm chilling for the time being and working on other projects like this one. Spending all my available time on this one right now. I'm hoping to have it cycling by the end of this month. We'll see though, cause I still need my pvc and my 275 gallon sump tank.

This is a few pictures of an update. I got my Pink Reliance grape tree and planted it. This is how I planted it, added roughly 1 lb of azomite rock dust, few hand fulls of Green sand, few large pinches of mycorrhiza and used some compost from my garden beds that is at least a year old (just incase for burning). I think the 4th grape tree will be either a Glenora or Concord so any opinions would be fine. The 3 I have now is Himrod, Pink reliance, and Red Flame which are all seedless.

2hfruxu.jpg

kbpo5f.jpg

I like Concords as they are pretty hard to beat for juice or jam. There is a variety up here called a 'Worden' and it is a Concord type. but matures a little faster than the regular Concord. It was developed by the agricultural department of Oregon State University for the Oregon growers due to our shorter growing season. I had a couple of them for many years at our previous home.

Well, I bought the last grape tree at Lowes for like 6$ it's a black monmukka and apprarently getting this type of grape in the store is rare due to the skin not being thick, so it doesn't travel well. I was gonna get a concord but I was trying to find the darkest colored grape I could find and the monmukka seems to fit that bill. I was wanting the grape colors to contrast with the others. So the colors will be pink, red, purplish-black, and green-yellowish. Should be really nice looking next year. All the plants are at least 2 years old so if I don't get grapes from them this year I will for sure next year.

Last edited:
Looks great Mark. It will be very interesting to see the pictures at the end of the summer to compare to these. I think it looks great!

Doesn't that red running around the boarder of the GB look so cool? I keep on looking at the picture on my phone and I just think wow, what a good investment. Now I gotta run that red board around the planter boxes for the grape trees.

that will be a great contrast. What an awesome job you have done. Isn't it great to sit back and look at your work. I can't wait to see it with all the trimmings ;)

You are developing a nice scheme Mark! It's nice to have some common element that carries through the garden!
Looking good!

This is what I did today:

1fut1j.jpg

Removed all the grass, and began setting up the new planter bed. I just purchased a load of compost and I needed the truck to be empty so I kicked it into gear and threw this planter together. I got plants for the next one, but for now this'll have to do. Maybe Fall planting season will I build that addition. I still need 1 more load of compost to fill the pergola bed. I bought some blackberries, two types (but thornless) one is Chester and the other is Ouachita, I also have a raspberry I'm gonna plant in that bed with the blackberries. Set up my upside tomato planters and am gonna leave inside until the weather warms up a bit more during the nights. Wasn't exactly easy to get them in (I did smaller ones so it would be at least a bit easier)
vyt52.jpg

ddlsuh.jpg

2hi6nme.jpg

Still gotta get the plumbing setup on that new bed, I got a 6 zone timer so I can get them watered properly (the hanging tomatoes I may stick on a drip not 100% sure quite yet.
33tsbbt.jpg

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back