Plants not completely dormant in December

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

SharShar

Good Morning fellow Gardeners
I’m new here and joined mainly to ask if others have seen this over winter, and if I need to be concerned at all. I live in a high desert in Fountain, Colorado growing zone 6, with very long, cold winters and never have I seen plants still green after many snowfalls (one a foot high!). My yard is south facing and is well mulched. However, my cilantro is not mulched and still growing. I also saw mating Japanese beetles and ladybugs running around far from my house under a lilac bush. The photos are hollyhocks, honeysuckle, cilantro and roses. All 4 rose bushes have lush green leaves at the tops of them. Weird or normal? Thank you!

I guess I’ll add that although it’s been mainly vegetable gardening I’ve done since 2007, I started adding plants trees and flowers starting 2-3 years ago. My onions grow tall and green all winter but that was ever it. Last year I don’t recall leaves on my roses. The tiny baby mystery bush in the photo from Arbor Day is still fully leaved and not going dormant. It’s just so weird because baby anything in Colorado not only goes dormant but dies easily trying to get established at the least, not thrive through winter 😅.

Attachments

• IMG_6768.jpeg
    IMG_6768.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6769.jpeg
    IMG_6769.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6770.jpeg
    IMG_6770.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6773.jpeg
    IMG_6773.jpeg
    645.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6772.jpeg
    IMG_6772.jpeg
    901.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6777.jpeg
    IMG_6777.jpeg
    469 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6775.jpeg
    IMG_6775.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back