Poisonous Plants!? ID needed!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Vivarium-Gardener

Okay, so recently in one of my vivariums, I planted a bunch of plants I purchased from my local "Independent Grocers".

I bought the following:

1 Croton plant
1 Rhoeo plant
1 Dieffenbanchia
2 Polka dot

So, I later found out that the Croton, Rhoeo, and, Dieffenbanchia are all very poisonous and since have all been removed (for fear of harm to the amphibian inhabitants!), but I do not know if this plant is also toxic, can anyone ID it for me? It did not come with an ID card, so I don't know it's name...

Here are some photos of it:
002-5.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

005-7.jpg

Is it safe?

Thanks!

Royce

Hey Royce!
Most tropical plants tend to have toxins that very in degree and potency!
But these toxins effect humans and not necessarily reptiles and amphibians!
They should be perfectly safe for your amphibians since they will not be eating the foliage!
You need to think in terms of amphibians and not in terms of humans!

I agree with Ron. Some plants must be ingested in part or in some cases the entire plant to be toxic. And even still some plants toxic to humans have no effects on animals. I have seen my dogs eat toad stools and not suffer.;)

Hi, I would have to agree with the above posts, as to the best of my knowledge, most tropical plants are poisonous to at least some degree but many may not be harmful to certain animals, such as amphibians.
The plant in the picture is an Syngonium podophyllum, commonly known as an Arrowhead Vine.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back