Southern Lady in need of advice

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

foxxylady01

Hello Everyone,

My name is Lauren - I am a student at VCU and I'm very much in love with my new house.

My only trepidation is my lawn, and small garden in the front of my house. I don't even know where to begin.

Here are some images you can see on Flickr of my problem:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39326140@N02/5857254372/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39326140@N02/5856700147/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39326140@N02/5857252378/

Could you recommend what I could do to improve the grass I have? And recommend some flowers, and other items to plant in front of my house? I'd love to create something beautiful, but again I don't even know where to begin Sad

Thanks alot!

Lauren :p

Hi Lauren,
Welcome to Gardenforums.com. You have come to the right place.
Improving grass is easy. First you identify what type of grass it is. Then we find out what its optimum conditions are and correct from there. A few basics are: 1.) making sure it gets consistant water. No long periods of dryness nor long periods of excessive water. Think of it as a potted plant.
2. Food. Lawns like to be fed usually in the spring and again in early fal to help them gain root base for the winter. There are lots of commercial fertilizers that combine weed killers . If you are organic in nature you will need to search for a retailer that carries organic fertilizers. Lowe's and Home Depot both carry chemical and organic fertilizers and can help you identify your grass type and what is best for feeding.;)
3. Keeping a lawn trimmed to the ideal height is for some mind boggling. But it is really easy. In the hot summer months , keep your lawn trimmed a little higher. This protects the roots from heat and sun and lenghthens the time between cuttings, thereby causing less damage to the leaves. Never cut when wet or in the heat of the day.
In cooler months you can cut shorter and it will force the grass to put on root mass, a good thing for winter.

Flowers:
Have you decided what type you want? Bushing, creeping, annual, perennial, colors, or scheme. I personally try to stay with Perennials as they come back year after year. Dalihas are one of my favorites. Daylilies and flowering grasses work well also.
If you have an idea what you want share it with us and we can help you find what you are looking for :D

Hello there Lauren It's great to have you wher.
I love your darling lil house.
What is blooming in the garden? (orange flower)
If you want annuals in your garden you should have color all season.
I love perennials and add annuals to the garden each spring.
Let us know what you are interested in and what direction your house faces. Full sun, shade, etc. what zone you are in too.
Then I would love to give you my choices.

Hi there. Crabber has some good advise. When I moved into my house the grass was really spotty. I watered, pulled weeds and mowed. I got some great grass out of the deal.
Planting flowers is a personal choice. Plant something that appeals to you but check the conditions it grows in first. If it doesn't grow in your zone then it probably won't. A little trail and error will get you what you want.

Hi Everyone
I'm new to This forum
it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in ;)
grey.png

Crabber has given you all the advice you need......all I can add is that you've got a lovely blank canvas to work with, regarding garden design. It'll be fun to see it slowly progress over time. Oh and welcome too!:)

blank canvas!

Yes, this is a nice canvas to work with, and the posts above are indeed helpful.
From experience, I would suggest that you consider digging out the grass around the chain link fence (maybe a food on either side) and making it a simple natural area with mulch or some pea gravel or something else that doesn't need to be mowed. Once you get the grass growing up in the fencing it is nasty and easy to let get nastier without some maintenance. Maybe this could be an area to put some small plantings or ground cover, and help disguise the fence a little by drawing the eye to something else colorful and pretty, as it will frame the yard nicely.

JD

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back