Strongly Scented, Evergreen, Pot-Plantabe, Day-blooming flower plant?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Shah Jahan

Hello.

I have no idea about plants but wish to learn from the experts.

I've fallen in love with my Raat ki Rani (Queen of the Night, Night-blooming Jasmine) plant and now wish to have a similar plant which blooms in the day.

I'm looking for a plant that is,
→ Day blooming
→ Has a VERY strongly scented flowers (like Raat ki rani) which can be smelled from a long distance,
→ Should bloom in all seasons
→ Should be plantable in pots which are fairly big in size (1 foot long by 1 foot in diameter)
→ Can be grown in Mumbai's (Bombay, India) climate

PS: It DOESN'T matter if the plant/flower is ugly or grows unruly and dense.

Thank you very much for answering my question. I appreciate it.

Hey Shah!
Welcome to our forum!
2 species comes to mind but I know there's more to choose from!
Datura and Brugmansia are to easy ones that have super fragrant flowers!
They can be started from seed!
I'd recommend a larger pot, say 18" x 18", or larger to accommodate a large root system!

Great choices Ron
If it doesn't need to bloom for long periods I would suggest lilac bushes or hyacinth bulbs
for their wonderful smell

Probable not because they are temporate perennials that need to chill during the winter months.
There are tropical versions of them, but don't have their names off hand.

I wish I could grow hyacinths and lilacs but I can't! I have a similar climate to you Shah and having a shrub or vine that blooms in all seasons will be very difficult to find. All I can suggest is that you do a little research and find heavily perfumed plants that have different flowering times, that way you'll have fragrance all year 'round. Here's a few that I know of. Gardenias, passionflowers, nicotanias, gingers, oriental lilies, brunsfelsia, plumerias, Star Jasmine/Trachelospermum jasminoides and Jasminum polyanthemum, moonflower vine, Rangoon vine, mock orange and mexican orange blossom to name just a few. Even citrus plants when in flower have a wonderful fragrance and they bloom at different times of the year, have fun!:)

Welcome Shah! You can trust Ron's suggestions. He is our cacti pro.
Glad to have you on board with us.

Thank you everyone for your replies and the warm welcome.

2 species comes to mind but I know there's more to choose from!
Datura and Brugmansia are to easy ones that have super fragrant flowers!
They can be started from seed!
I'd recommend a larger pot, say 18" x 18", or larger to accommodate a large root system!
I did a little internet search and found that they too are fragrant in the evening. And are they really strongly scented during the day? Plus I'm not sure if it's legal or not as it's always in the press for some bad reasons, like drugs, suicide, accidental deaths, poisoning!

Great choices Ron
If it doesn't need to bloom for long periods I would suggest lilac bushes or hyacinth bulbs
for their wonderful smell
I don't think we find them (or can grow?) here in India?

I have a similar climate to you Shah and having a shrub or vine that blooms in all seasons will be very difficult to find. All I can suggest is that you do a little research and find heavily perfumed plants that have different flowering times, that way you'll have fragrance all year 'round.
That is a very worthy advice and I feel stupid that it didn't struck me first! But unfortunately I live in Mumbai where space is a VERY congested, hence I cannot grow several plants! But I wish I could, then this is the path I would have taken. It would have given me fragrance with variety :)

Here's a few that I know of. Gardenias, passionflowers, nicotanias, gingers, oriental lilies, brunsfelsia, plumerias, Star Jasmine/Trachelospermum jasminoides and Jasminum polyanthemum, moonflower vine, Rangoon vine, mock orange and mexican orange blossom to name just a few. Even citrus plants when in flower have a wonderful fragrance and they bloom at different times of the year, have fun!:)
WOW! Thank you for this list. Very informative! I'll get back with you on this after doing a little research on them. Like if these are all blooming year round, how strongly scented, found here or not and then I'd short-list the one.

If you have answers to any of the above, then kindly inform here.

Welcome Shah! You can trust Ron's suggestions. He is our cacti pro.
Glad to have you on board with us.
Thank you.

The hunt is still on friends!

After going through the list, I found that some were the name of the genus containing several hundreds species! Whereas others were night-blooming or didn't find it here.

Need some more help! Thank you very much!

What about some things typically grown as herbs? If you tweak the requirements a little you have things like thyme, lavender, and basil.

What about some things typically grown as herbs? If you tweak the requirements a little you have things like thyme, lavender, and basil.
Lavender doesn't grow here and do thyme ad basil produce strongly scented flowers? I did a search and found them listed as spices and in cuisines!

There's hundreds of types of both basil and thyme. Yes they flower but they also have strongly scented foliage. They're both grown for ornamental and culinary use.

Gingers would be a good species to have a look at especially Yellow Ginger.
Aglaia odorata ~ Chinese Perfume Plant
Allamanda williamsii ~Golden Trumpet Vine
Artabotrys hexapetalus ~Ylang Ylang Vine
Brunfelsia americana ~Lady of the night
Caesalpinia mexicana ~Mexican Bird of Paradise
Cestrum diurnum ~ White Chocolate Jasmine, Inkberry, Day Jessamine
Clerodendrum bungei~ Glory Bower....

There are more....check out http://toptropicals.com/index.htm
Select species that bloom at different times so you will have someing fragrant all year!

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back