Terrarium?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found this neat light bulb when bottle hunting. Since it is in tact , and rather on the large side, I thought I would make a mini terrarium for my son as a gift. Any suggestions on very small plants that would live in here long term?
I have a cork for the top and I will make a copper wire hanger for it.

Thanks for your ideas in advance.

Attachments

Kya D

That's a wonderful idea and bulb.
I have used dwarf baby tears in terrariums in the past.
Moss also work well then you can find a splash of color plant. I think I used pink polka dot plants.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm?
Small, slow growers, likes shade and moist conditions.
Bromiliads, the small species, and there are a lot of them to chose from.
Add a bit of moss at the bottom and perch the brom on/in it!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have some riendeer moss, and some carpet moss. The bulb is about the size of a large softball. Ron do you think I can find a bromiliad that small? And will it stay that small? The opening for the bulb is only about 1".
I will play around with it this next week and post some pictures of what I have done. Thanks for the help.

Wombat

Nancie any mini succulent would do well in that small space. What a great idea, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks John. I thought it would be unique as a gift. My son likes stuff like that.
It is about time I use some of the glass I have collected. I have about 40 old milk bottlespre 1950, so I am thinking this year I will make oils, vinegars, and bath salts and put them in the bottles as gifts.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah Ron, I think that's it. It will add just a little color and I think it will be perfect. I will go to Lowes today and see if they have any. Will keep you posted. Hope to have it done this weekend.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
It took a lot of time to find small enough plants to go in this. But yesterday Lowe's got in a shipment of mini succulents. I got brown bean and minimini cry. I had to seperate them so they would fit in the neck of the bulb. I also collected some ground moss and some lichen that I thought was rather a color contrast. So here are 2 views on my project.

After I had everything in the bulb I broke the neck off :( :mad::(:eek: Bot it was a perfect clean break and I think I can super glue it. Keeping my fingers crossed on that. I don't want to have it all crusty and blobby on the glass. i hope I can do it where it won't be seen.
I couldn't get a cork large enough for the top so I had to use a bleack rubber stopper, and it is to big. I will have to "melt" it to fit. :rolleyes:

Since I broke the top my idea of fashioning a copper wire hanger has changed. I twill now make a braided copper hanger the the bulb fits in.

Attachments

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys. Lysle's birthday is Mar 23. By then it should be well adjusted. Don't know what I will do if something dies and I have to replace it. It was really hard to get the plants adjusted in there.

Oh I meant to tell you, when I was looking for plants on line. I found a blog where someone did the exact samething. Just goes to show you ....there are no "new" ideas. :rolleyes:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com