The best way to grow herbs indoor !!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

uldis

Here's How:

Make sure you have a sunny windowsill where your herbs will survive. A south or southeast window would be perfect if it gets at least 5 hours of sun per day and is away from drafts.

Purchase some of your favorite small herb plants from your local nursery.

Get a container that is at least 6-12 inches deep. You can plant multiple herbs in a wide or long container or use at least a 6" pot for individual plants.

Use a soilless potting mix to avoid soil born diseases. Be sure the mix is light and will be well draining.

Put a 2-3 inch layer of potting mix into the bottom of your container.

Position your herb plants in the container.

Finish filling in with the potting mix, firming gently around the plants. Leave about an inch at the top of the container for watering.

Water sparingly. Herbs don't like to sit in wet soil.

Feed once a month with a fertilizer labeled for use on edibles.

Allow the plants some time to acclimate. Once you see new growth, you can start using your herbs.

Tips:

Choose herbs that don't grow too wide or tall. Chives, basil, lavender, parsley, mint, rosemary and thyme are good choices.
Fluorescent lights can be used if you don't have a sunny window. They will need to be placed close to the plants (18") and kept on for about 10 hours/day.
Snip and use your plants often to encourage them to grow full and bushy.
Never trim more than 1/3 of the plants foliage.

I would say 18 inches is way too high for the lights. 2 to 4 inches is much better. One of those thing you had in school but think you'll never use is the "Inverse square law". It says if you put a light twice as far away, the light is 4 times weaker. You do the math, as they say, lol. I keep mine right over the plants.

Do house cats eat herbs grown indoors? I thought about growing some herbs near my kitchen window, but I'm worried my cat will destroy them. What can I do to make my cat stay away if I plant some herb seeds?

if you cover the top of the pot with chicken wire or something like that they can't get in to dig it up. There are some herbs that cats like to eat but I don't remember what mine did. I have not had a cat in almost 10 years now.

We have a cat here that likes to eat flowers. Fiona does have some basil on the kitchen cupboard though and the cats have not bothered that.

Welcome to gardenforums Banky!
Grow some indoor kitty greens. Not near the herbs. Keep them accessable to kitty. Now around the herbs you can use ground red pepper. Kitties are very sensitive and will not go around the herbs . another thing is to double back tape of any kind in a border around the plants. When cats get tape stuck to their paws they freak out. Once may be enough.:)

Works Great

I agree with your herb instructions. I do use a indoor potting mix and compost together. I use a time release fertilizer, the ones that come in little balls. This releases slowly each time you water.

I have grown sweet basil all winter. I usually put my lights about 6 to 8 inches from the top of my plants and I have my grow lights turn on and off on a timer for 10 to 12 hrs a day.

I have also grown micro greens during the winter indoors.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back