Watering & Lighting Question

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

FloralDaddy

Ive got some annuals sprouted now and planted is it alright to keep them under a regular house bulb? if so how far away and what wattage bulb? Also how much should i water them? i planted them in damp soil do i just wait until it looks dry they water them and do i soak them or just lightly water them

Usually an incandescent bulb will only supply heat and not the natural light waves needed for good strong growth. At least 8" inches of space should be between a light/heat source and plants and duration of time under the light depends on several factors such as how fast you want growth, can the specific plant endure that much light.Some annuals are shade loves and you could do more damage than good. Grow bulbs cost about $5 and are a better bet for growth. They usually came in 60w. Depending on they type of plant and how much light it would get naturally , you may need to adjust the distance. My orchids are feet away from the grow light source. Then again a household bulb tends to produce more heat than usable light waves for plants. You may need to consider close observation to prevent damage ;)

Usually an incandescent bulb will only supply heat and not the natural light waves needed for good strong growth. At least 8" inches of space should be between a light/heat source and plants and duration of time under the light depends on several factors such as how fast you want growth, can the specific plant endure that much light.Some annuals are shade loves and you could do more damage than good. Grow bulbs cost about $5 and are a better bet for growth. They usually came in 60w. Depending on they type of plant and how much light it would get naturally , you may need to adjust the distance. My orchids are feet away from the grow light source. Then again a household bulb tends to produce more heat than usable light waves for plants. You may need to consider close observation to prevent damage ;)

well is it just as bad to have them in front of a window? i know glass blocks the suns rays so is it better than being under a house bulb for the time being until i can get a glow bulb?

If you have a nice sunny window that is a great place for your plants. Water them when the the soil is dry but not too dry. You don't want the plants to wilt. Keep your soil moist to the touch but not soggy.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back