Ways to protect a raised bed cheaper

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Markymark

So in this picture I show the raised beds (the black color). I'm trying to decide what I want to put at the bottom to keep Pocket Gophers out (we have tons around here). I used hardware cloth in my other beds, but that stuff is just too dang $$. So I'm trying to think of good alternatives like how about a slab of concrete about 2 inches deep or so after the raised beds are constructed? I was thinking about maybe poking drainage holes in it and keeping those no bigger than 1/2 inch, maybe cuts some 1/4 PVC tubing and poke it in there while it's dry or fill around it and cut off the top....

2nhp95e.jpg

This might sound dumb and it would all depend on what you are growing in the raised bed, but what about a wood bottom? I mean raise the box up another one or two feet and save your back as well as isolate it from the gophers. Short legs would work or attach it somehow to the post shown. Just an idea....

You could use a layer, or two of galvanized chicken wire on the bottom to keep the gophers out!
A layer on top of the soil would help keep squirrels out....I've done this to keep the beggers out of my container gardens, and keep them from digging up spring bulbs in the garden.

I don't have squirrels around here really (we have ground squirrels around but I've never seen one in my yard). I've done wood bottoms and I'm not overly happy with the ones I've done. I was just thinking it would be cheaper to do the Concrete but maybe not after finding some concrete calculators. But then when I thinking about it - it'd be a good way to make sure grass wouldn't come up and it would help me with leveling. But I was doing rough math and it's going to be around 60 square feet of planting beds so I'm gonna probably go with my gut and get ½ inch hardware cloth.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back