What kind of paint for a cedar flower box?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

bigelow965

I've made a nice 48 x 10 x 8 deep flower box out of cedar and I need to know what kind of paint to use to help preserve the wood but also wouldn't interfere with the plants or leech anything into the soil. Or since it's made of cedar would it be ok just to leave it unpainted (and a little less protected from the outside elements)?

Any ideas?

You could use a heavy gauge plastic liner! Ask at any good garden centre which liner would be best!

Leave it unpainted... Mine are from Larch wood and still good after about 7 years... And if you have to replace it one day, you can compost the leftovers - or (after drying) use them as firewood.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back