What to do with leafless tree?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Thornbird

I inherited a potted staghorn sumac when my parents moved at the end of May. It had leaf buds that had opened halfway, then stopped and started to die. My mom told me it was probably root bound and would survive if I put it in the ground. I planted it in a nice large hole with a mix of compost and soil (whatever the folks at Al's told me to use) and watered it well. It's in a spot that gets about 6 hours of full sun.

So, after like a month, nothing new had sprouted and the leaves that had begun to emerge turned brown and died. I browsed the Internet and found articles saying you need to cut a root bound tree's rootball before replanting in order to save it. Wish I would've read that before planting!

Anyway, here we are in mid July, and still nothing. My question is: Is there any hope for the tree? Should I wait until next spring to see if it will survive? Can a tree go through an entire growing season without leaves and still survive? I feel bad, but am wondering if it's a goner and should just remove it at this point.

Sorry Thornbird!
You can check and see if the stems are still alive by bending them, it they snap, then it is dead!
You can also scratch off the bark, if there is no live green under the bark then it is dead!
Sumac are normally very tolerant of dry conditions, but even they will die if they do not get enough rain or watering over a long enough period of time!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back