What type of plant is this growing by my Idaho Locust?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

I just came out to weed the area around my Idaho Locust, and found this interesting little plant growing; in addition to the blob that I took a pic off, about 18 inches away is a smaller bunch. The round leaves reminded me of spurge, but it is growing too high, as spurge in my experience grows much more horizontally than vertically. If this is a weed, I'll uproot it of course. If not, I'd be more than happy to keep it there at the base of my Idaho Locust, or pot it or replant it somewhere else. If larger pics are needed, I had to shrink them to be uploaded here. I can upload original files to imgur if needed.

ID Plant 1A.jpg
ID Plant 2A.jpg

It has actually grown since this post. I think it might be a rose. For a few years, some years ago, I had planted dwarf roses all around the perimeter of this area--it is a circle about 5-6 feet in diameter. So I suppose it might be some root that finally made it back up to the surface? I dunno.

OK, I'll definitely leave it. So you don't think it is a rose at all?

I think I'm seeing the same plant sprout up in another section of my front yard, that has roses.

We have had a lot of rain this past spring (southern California), that might be why I'm seeing these new plants.

Looks like a type of vine..thinking wisteria. I'd leave it to see if it blooms...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back