Will Corscrew willow need a stake?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

Will a corkscrew willow need a stake? This one is being planted from a container (looks like a 1 gallon container).

The tallest of the limbs reaches to about 6 feet tall. From the root core (??? don't recall what it is called, it is about 4 inches above the ground, and the branches all spring from it) come 3 branches; off of one of these is a fourth. They all range from 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick.

It will be planted in an area of our lot that would get a fair amount of wind (no protection, in other words). Winds can range in summer from 10-30 MPH.

Last edited:
Some newly planted trees require staking for the first couple of years until they develop a stronger trunk and root system.

OK, then I'll do that for this one.

I planted a stake for an Idaho Locust, but it grew so thick that the second year I untied it. Its nice and strong now.

Thanks.

From the pics..I would remove the thinner green stems and leave the 2 thicker ones.
Then you can stake the 2 grey ones. Staking helps to stabilize the plant from strong winds until a good root system develops.
Place the stakes on the side that receives the prevailing winds

OK, I got one stake in ground already.

As far as remvoing the thinner stems. Ugh I'm ok with pruning branches, but these look too much like trunks and I'm a bit resistant to this.

Can I put them in water and see if roots will sprout? I'm sure someone will want one.

And the cut is to be flat against the thick stem that is going to stay?

doing a bit of reading. most of the material online seems to be for established trees. Do I need to worry about cutting into the branch collar and the branch bark ridge? Or is that only for established trees? If I make the cut flat against the trunk, I will be cutting into whatever of the collar and ridge is there.

Right now the winds are around 20 mph, and the corkscrew willow is hardly moving in the direction of the wind. I think its because the trunk/branches are so thin, and the leaves are not very wide in diameter.

I'm wondering if it needs it right now....

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back